Partion has different endings and + blocks

Partion has different endings and + blocks

Post by Dmhaywa » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 10:00:18

When partitioning a new drive, fdisk gave me the message:
Partion 2 has different physical/logical endings
  phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1047,15,63)

It's a Western Digital 540M drive, 1048 cyl, 16 heads, 63 spt --

What does the difference mean? -- I'm using the partition for sawp-- will
it cause any problems -- like loss of mind??  -- Not working with a full
set of paging surfaces???  -- mkswap seemed to have no problem with it.

Also  -- on partion 1 of the same drive, fdisk reports LARGENUM+ blocks --
what does the plus (+) mean - again will it be a problem -- am I losing
access to some blocks by having too large a partition?

Thanks for any help.

Don Hayward

1. Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning

On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:25:08 GMT, Matthew Planchant

What does fdisk or cfdisk say about the partition table layout?

The amount of mounted usable space will vary depending on how the
filesystems are initialized, since the filesystem overhead will vary.

Best regards, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone  +44 (0)1865 721438   http://www.psherwin.strayduck.com

2. AWE 32 PNP and Solaris x86 2.5.1 problems

3. HELP: Exiting a non ending program inside a shell to run it again with different arguments...

4. RedHat 5.1 Installation

5. Ending thread blocked in I/O

6. Help with device on SCO 5.0.2

7. Dedicated server on different partion

8. IBM Graphics on !msdos machines.

9. how can i merge or convert different partions ?

10. optimum space for different partions..

11. Bad Blocks on root partion

12. Re-partioning Extended partion

13. disk partions (iI am installing 3 OS'es, need > then 4 partions)