I cannot execute files, even when I have the permissions set to do so.

I cannot execute files, even when I have the permissions set to do so.

Post by Iai » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 02:18:06

Hi,

I am running SuSe Linux, and I cannot run some executable files,
either by clicking on them, or by typing their names in at the command
line. The files setup by the installation are OK, it's just the new
ones that I have installed that cause the problem. I have no error
messages, as nothing happens when I click or give the command.

Help appreciated

Iain

Post by Garry Knigh » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:47:42

> I am running SuSe Linux, and I cannot run some executable files,
> either by clicking on them, or by typing their names in at the command
> line. The files setup by the installation are OK, it's just the new
> ones that I have installed that cause the problem. I have no error
> messages, as nothing happens when I click or give the command.

You didn't say what you're clicking them in, but if it's Konqueror or
some other file manager, the file needs to have at least one executable
bit set and you need to have sufficient permission to execute it. For
example, as a user you wouldn't have permission to execute this file:
-rwx------    1 root     root        53148 Mar 17  2001 sendfax*
since it's owned by root and only root has read, write and execute
permissions.

As for typing the names in at the command line, the above permissions
rule also applies, and the file must also be somewhere on your search
path (enter 'echo $PATH' to find out which directories this includes).
And, to execute a program for which you have sufficient permissions that
is in the current directory, you need to enter the path as well as the
filename, which you can do in the form './filename'.

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

1. Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied

I was trying to install some new software on my slackware 3.5 linux system, and
I must have inadvertently messed up the shell access.

I can log in as root, but when I log in with my user account it gives the
message:
"Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied"
I have made sure my user account belongs to the bin group and bash is owned by
the bin group.

I also tried creating a new user, but got the same error message when I tried
logging in with that account.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pat

2. best to find for linux firewall

3. cannot execute /bin/bash: permission denied...WHY?

4. Tru64 Maximum Partition Size

5. ??? "Cannot execute ***: Permission denied" for all users

6. Hi folks! Maybe this is a FAQ, but I can't find appropiate answers... I have installed Netscape 4.61 under kernel 2.2.10 from S.u.S.E 6.2. The JDK 1.1.7B is installed and runnig fine. When I start Netcape with Java enabNetscape + Java crashes

7. Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied (HELP!)

8. Count pages on printers

9. "Cannot execute /bin/*sh: Permission denied" prevents login

10. Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied

11. "Cannot execute /bin/*sh: Permission denied" prevents login

12. .forward file having problems executing shell script?