where: Simple TeX previewing under Linux

where: Simple TeX previewing under Linux

Post by Marten v.d. La » Wed, 22 Sep 1993 22:00:31

Hi,

I just installed Linux on my PC (486/33, 4MB internal memory). The amount
of memory is too small to work with X-windows. in a fashionable way.
So I cannot use xdvi for TeX previewing. Is there another way to preview
my .dvi files?

Thanx in advance,

Marten

p.s. Yes, I'll extend my memory soon.

---
Marten van der Laan -- University of Groningen -

where: Simple TeX previewing under Linux

Post by Vincent Brom » Thu, 23 Sep 1993 02:04:02

The Mgr window system runs Linux and on various small micros.
Its texmgr program previews dvi files using shrunk printer fonts,
albeit a bit slowly.  Mgr is included in the big Linux archives.
Check it out.

Vincent Broman,  code 572 Bayside                        Phone: +1 619 553 1641
Naval Command Control and Ocean Surveillance Center, RDT&E Div.

Post by d. endis » Thu, 23 Sep 1993 04:27:39

|> Hi,
|> I just installed Linux on my PC (486/33, 4MB internal memory). The amount
|> of memory is too small to work with X-windows. in a fashionable way.
|> So I cannot use xdvi for TeX previewing. Is there another way to preview
|> my .dvi files?
A very simple program is called 'dvi2tty'. It can be used on any kind of
terminal but the capabilities are rather limited. It's useful to check
general layout, but useless for special symbols.
Btw. I have also only 4MB but X (and xdvi) is useable. Startup times
are long, but paging through the text is really fast.
Shrink your kernel by removing all unused drivers.
Shrink your X by removing all unused drivers with xlink.
Denis

|> p.s. Yes, I'll extend my memory soon.
Same for me...
--
Denis Endisch                 Phone:  (519) 661 - 2111x6413
Department of Physics         Fax:    (519) 661 - 2033

London, Ontario, Canada N6A 3K7

1. tex preview without X11 ??

Does anybody know of a tex preview program for linux
that does not require X?
The reason is that we have some computers with only 4 Meg.
I didn't find it in the FAQ.

--
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen 1, Germany

Disclaimer: this text reflects MY opinion, not that of my employer!

2. Linux Resources Page (and custom distribution)

3. Previewing TeX without X-windows?

4. pcnfsd?

5. TeX can preview, but cannot print!

6. X Configuration Problem

7. Two simple Linux/TeX questions

8. Hiding my Public IP

9. ps->tex html->tex?

10. AUC-TeX Emacs package added to SLS TeX files

11. Where to install TeX input files in TeX-related rpm package

12. tex(only root can do tex), revised

13. TeX usage and TeX errors