MOO-TIFF vs MOTIF for Linux. LESS-TIFF?

Post by SHAWN P SANDER » Tue, 24 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I have been trying to get LessTiff installed.  THe readme says xmkmf -a
and then make nuff said.  Great dosumentation.

First I have it in a directory under /     /lesstiff-apr25-0550
During Compilation I get errors of nonexisting libXm.  I believe my
directories may not be set up coorectly.  I do not know what file I use
to set the environment.

Also I know lesstiff is free and not 100% Motif comp. and I am thinking of
ordering MOOTIFF from Infomagic.  Does any know the difference between
MOOTIFF for Linux and MOTIF for linux.  IF none why the price difference?

I am looking for a quick answer cause I need to get this done really Soon.
Project needs to be done in 3 weeks.

Shawn Sanders

Post by Mark J. Dulc » Thu, 26 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>|> Also I know lesstiff is free and not 100% Motif comp. and I am thinking of
>|> ordering MOOTIFF from Infomagic.  Does any know the difference between
>|> MOOTIFF for Linux and MOTIF for linux.  IF none why the price difference?
>MOO-TIFF is Motif, as I understand it.  That probably can't call it
>Motif due to licensing restrictions (same reason we call our Runtime,
>Development and Demos packages "MWM").  I don't know what Moo-Tiff is
>selling for right now.
>Nor do I know what you mean by a price difference, since I'm not sure which
>product your referencing as "MOTIF for linux".
>Our package is $149.95.  We are an OSF source code licensee (ie we build the
>source ourselves).

There are at least four versions of Motif for Linux:

Moo-Tiff: InfoMagic, $99.95, documentation on CD-ROM only
MoTeeth: Just Computers, $99.95, includes manual
SWiM: Lasermoon (distributed by ACC Bookstore in US), $149 with manual
MWM: XInside, $149.95 with manual

So far as I know, all of these start with OSF source, and are built by
the vendors.  The differences in price come from the different amounts
of printed documentation in the packages, and the level of support
from the vendor.  The two inexpensive packages come from CD-ROM
packagers; the expensive ones come from programming shops, which
probably have more experience with the packages.

By the way, I think MWM is a poor choice of name, since mwm is also
the name of the Motif Window Manager program that is part of Motif.

1. Motif--Metrolink vs. SWiM vs MOO-TIFF ?

I'm interested in purchasing one of the versions of Motif for Linux.  I have
a nice big Motif application that I need to port to Linux so I need a Motif
package.  Can anyone provide some comparisons between the various offerrings
that are available?  Specifically can anyone answer the following questions?

1. Is Metrolink worth the extra dollars?  Do you get anything extra with
their version?  Is their support better?

2. Are SWiM and MOO-TIFF essentially the same package?  (They seem to have a
common developer.)

3. How close is LessTif (?) to being available.  Is their a Beta or will
there be a Beta?

Thanx in advance for any comments.

Stock
John E. Stockenberg                     Digital System Sciences
Real-Time Signal Processing Systems     29 Touro Street
X/Motif and Open/GL                     Newport, RI 02840-2912
(401) 849-1905 fax (401) 848-7540

2. Setting up proxies?

3. InfoMagic Moo-Tiff (motif) CD

4. again: fsync does not work as we expect on 2.6

5. Advice Needed! Motif: SWiM or Moo-Tiff

6. Netscape on Alpha Linux

7. Experience with XiG Motif? SWiM Moo-Tiff?

8. Apache and Win98

9. COMMERCIAL: Moo-Tiff: A port of Motif 2.0

10. Experience with Infomagic Moo-tiff ( Motif ) CDROM ??

11. MOO-TIFF Motif and Drag and Drop Demos

12. Moo-Tiff or SWIN for Motif 2.0

13. Compiling Moo-Tiff apps on ELF Linux