Screen Resolution and virtual Screens

Post by Steven I. Pous » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Dear X users:

I have installed X11 and I can get it to work, but the problem is that
its got my computer screen size wrong. For some reason it is only
showing a 640X480 image on screen and its not even centered. My screen
can definetly support 800X600 and I would like my virtual screen size
to also be that size. I have found where to change the virtual screen
size in my XF86Config file but I can't find where to set the normal
screen size. Is there any way to crank up to to higher screen sizes. I
am using a gateway vivitron 17 monitor and an STB 64v+ video card with
2 megs of ram. I am currently running under windows95 at 1024x768
resolution. Thanks in advance for your help...

Sincerely,
Steven Pousty

Post by Saif A. Wars » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Dear X users:

> I have installed X11 and I can get it to work, but the problem is that
> its got my computer screen size wrong. For some reason it is only
> showing a 640X480 image on screen and its not even centered. My screen
> can definetly support 800X600 and I would like my virtual screen size
> to also be that size. I have found where to change the virtual screen
> size in my XF86Config file but I can't find where to set the normal
> screen size. Is there any way to crank up to to higher screen sizes. I
> am using a gateway vivitron 17 monitor and an STB 64v+ video card with
> 2 megs of ram. I am currently running under windows95 at 1024x768
> resolution. Thanks in advance for your help...

> Sincerely,
> Steven Pousty

I have a Vivitron 17 monitor also and with your current setup I believe
that you could actually run 1280 x 1024 at 8 bpp. Anyway you should
be able to use the Ctrl + Alt (+ on keypad) combination to change
to different resolutions. Also you could edit your config file to
start up in the desired mode look for the line that shows the
different resolutions and it will be something like:
"640x480" "1024x768" ... change it to "1024x768" "640x480", etc.

To get center your image, start up X and then run xdvitune which will
allow you to center your image and then have it write out your
video modes and put them into you config file. That will work for
any of your resolutions.

Hope this helps

Post by Ulrich Hollan » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Dear X users:

> I have installed X11 and I can get it to work, but the problem is that
> its got my computer screen size wrong. For some reason it is only
> showing a 640X480 image on screen and its not even centered. My screen
> can definetly support 800X600 and I would like my virtual screen size
> to also be that size. I have found where to change the virtual screen
> size in my XF86Config file but I can't find where to set the normal
> screen size. Is there any way to crank up to to higher screen sizes. I
> am using a gateway vivitron 17 monitor and an STB 64v+ video card with
> 2 megs of ram. I am currently running under windows95 at 1024x768
> resolution. Thanks in advance for your help...

Please, take a look again to your XF86Config file. The screen
resolutions (the modes) must be in the correct order. The first entry is
the default entry. You had to switch the order during the installation
procedure, but now you may change it by hand.

Hope this helps.

> Sincerely,
> Steven Pousty

Regards,
Uli
--
Fakultaet fuer Physik der Universitaet Freiburg
Abt. Prof.Dr.G.Herten, Hermann-Herder-Str. 3, D-79102 Freiburg i.Brsg.

Telefon: (+49) 0761 203 5809    Fax: (+49) 0761 203 5938

Screen Resolution and virtual Screens

Post by Subhas R » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have installed X11 and I can get it to work, but the problem is
> that its got my computer screen size wrong. For some reason it is
> only showing a 640X480 image on screen and its not even centered. My
> screen can definetly support 800X600 and I would like my virtual
> screen size to also be that size. I have found where to change the
> virtual screen size in my XF86Config file but I can't find where to
> set the normal screen size. Is there any way to crank up to to
> higher screen sizes. I am using a gateway vivitron 17 monitor and an
> STB 64v+ video card with 2 megs of ram. I am currently running under
> windows95 at 1024x768 resolution.

I too have Vivitron 17 monitor and STB Trio 64V+ card with 2MB DRAM
from Gateway 2000.  I strongly urge you to use the Xfree86 3.1.2G. I
have the got the perfect/optimun X setup possible for my system. I am

multiple desktops, I don't need higher resolution so much. Also, I
don't like to hurt my eyes with low screen refresh rate.

Here is the magic modeline (I have got it after much tweaking):

It makes full use of the screen area.

I have the monitor section:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "Vivitron1776"
   VendorName      "Gateway 2000"
   ModelName       "GW2K Vivitron 17 aka Sony CPD-17F23"

   HorizSync       31.5-64.0
   VertRefresh     50-120

EndSection

Don't forget to use Xfree86 3.1.2 G.