strange XFree86 Mouse problem (random mouse failure)

strange XFree86 Mouse problem (random mouse failure)

Post by David McKinle » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello all-

I have a strange problem that has just cropped up:

Here's my setup:
Gateway2K PPro-200
64MB RAM
4GB HD (in 2 equal paritions)
kernel 2.0.31 (RedHat 5.0)
MS PS/2 Mouse
XFree86 3.31-14
fvwm2 2.0.46

At first, I thought that the problem was related to NS-Communicator
4.04, but it has started to appear when running other X apps as well,
i.e. glint, xv, applixware, etc. My mouse will simply lock for no
apparent reason.  The cursor just goes dead, and cannot be restored.
No warning, no core file, no pinned CPU, no nothin.
The machine is still 100% active- I can telnet/rlogin to it, and I can
CTRL-ALT-Backspace out of the Xwin session.  Running top shows no
unusual active processes.

The disturbing thing is that the problem is starting to happen more
quickly- i.e., when it first manifested, it would be after 3+ days of
the same X session.  Now, it happens within 3 minutes of starting X.

Has anyone seen this before??????

Any help will be appreciated, I'm really tearing my hair out over this
one!

Thanks in advance!

strange XFree86 Mouse problem (random mouse failure)

Post by Ken Conra » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I had this problem when running slackeare. I did a clean sweep and
installed rh(4.3?) and later 5.0 and have not seen the problem since. I
haven't a clue what caused it. I have an ATI mach 64 card and always
suspected the accelerated xserver because I had had problems with that in
the past.

> Hello all-

> I have a strange problem that has just cropped up:

> Here's my setup:
> Gateway2K PPro-200
> 64MB RAM
> 4GB HD (in 2 equal paritions)
> kernel 2.0.31 (RedHat 5.0)
> MS PS/2 Mouse
> XFree86 3.31-14
> fvwm2 2.0.46

> At first, I thought that the problem was related to NS-Communicator
> 4.04, but it has started to appear when running other X apps as well,
> i.e. glint, xv, applixware, etc. My mouse will simply lock for no
> apparent reason.  The cursor just goes dead, and cannot be restored.
> No warning, no core file, no pinned CPU, no nothin.
> The machine is still 100% active- I can telnet/rlogin to it, and I can
> CTRL-ALT-Backspace out of the Xwin session.  Running top shows no
> unusual active processes.

> The disturbing thing is that the problem is starting to happen more
> quickly- i.e., when it first manifested, it would be after 3+ days of
> the same X session.  Now, it happens within 3 minutes of starting X.

> Has anyone seen this before??????

> Any help will be appreciated, I'm really tearing my hair out over this
> one!

> Thanks in advance!

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

1. ps/2 mouse problem under XFree86 (mouse is busy)

I had a similar problem when I installed Redhat 3.0.3 on my system.
During installation I selected the PS/2 mouse but when I ran X the
pointer would jump to the top of the screen and not respond correctly to
the mouse. When I checked XF86Config the mouse was set to 'Microsoft'
even though I am 100% sure that I selected PS/2 during installation. I
changed it to PS/2 manually and it has worked fine since. Check to make
sure that the mouse is set to PS/2 even if this is what you selected
during installation. This should be easily located in the pointer
section of your XF86Config file.

Good Luck

2. SCSI Card for MCA

3. Weird mouse behaviour w/ XFree86 3.3.2 and Logitech PS/2 mouse

4. Help compiling libstdc++/changing to libc6

5. 7500 + XLR Carrier + Debian + ADB mouse + XFree86 = no mouse buttons

6. Kein CDROM-Support im DOS-Modus

7. Help! Microsoft Mouse (mouse port) & XFree86 3.1

8. Help:What is .rpm extension?

9. how to set XFree86's mouse resolution (using FreeBSD's moused)?

10. Mouse Systems PC Mouse 3D/6D Bus Mouse driver?

11. Mouse failure after reconfig/reinstall XFree86, other questions

12. CDE & MOUSE: *must* disable "pasting" via-mouse (GD MFing ShEing MOUSE!)

13. Mouse, Mouse Mouse! Help!