RH 7.0 - startx does not successfully start GNOME

RH 7.0 - startx does not successfully start GNOME

Post by John Oosthuize » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 05:04:08

Hi, I am a newbie at Linux, and I installed RH7.0 publishers edition.
startx does bring up the initial GNOME window with the little icons to show
progress, but then the initial window disappears and the blue Redhat
background remains - no Gnome desktop !  I ran Xconfigurator which correctly
autodetected my video card with the correct horizontal and vertical values.
I set the memory to 16MB.  My clock chip is an ICS 9248DF-39 which is not on
the list of support clock chips so I left the clockchip option at the
default "NONE (recommended)".  I also made sure that the XF86Config path is
in the PATH environment variable. (export
PATH=$PATH:/etc/X11:usr/X11R6/lib/X11).  But no success.  Cntrl-Alt-+ has no
effect.  I recently bought my PC which is a clone well respected in this
country, so I cannot believe the hardware is not supported, or is too old.

Please help with any ideas you may have.

Thanks, John Oosthuizen
Johannesburg, South Africa

RH 7.0 - startx does not successfully start GNOME

Post by Michael Kell » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 06:46:48

Quote:>Please help with any ideas you may have.

I would check your hardware against the various
dist. and see which one supports what you are
using.  If you have a fast internet connection
or know someone who will download for you
then you can get newer versions of dist.
off the net.  Generally the newer the dist.
the more hardware is supported as people
come up with Linux drivers.

Maybe redhat 7.2 or Skipjack will work.

http://www.linuxiso.org/

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

Post by nik » Wed, 01 May 2002 02:22:29

> Hi, I am a newbie at Linux, and I installed RH7.0 publishers edition.
> startx does bring up the initial GNOME window with the little icons to
> show progress, but then the initial window disappears and the blue
> Redhat background remains - no Gnome desktop !  I ran Xconfigurator
> which correctly autodetected my video card with the correct horizontal
> and vertical values. I set the memory to 16MB.  My clock chip is an ICS
> 9248DF-39 which is not on the list of support clock chips so I left the
> clockchip option at the default "NONE (recommended)".  I also made sure
> that the XF86Config path is in the PATH environment variable. (export
> PATH=$PATH:/etc/X11:usr/X11R6/lib/X11).  But no success.  Cntrl-Alt-+
> has no effect.  I recently bought my PC which is a clone well respected
> in this country, so I cannot believe the hardware is not supported, or
> is too old.

> Please help with any ideas you may have.

> Thanks, John Oosthuizen
> Johannesburg, South Africa

Not sure if this is a problem with x at all. Check your logfiles
(ctrl-alt-f1 should give you a vterm). Maybe some screwed up settings in
gnome? Try deleting all everything .gnome from your home directory, or
simply create a new user and to log in with. Can you try another window
manager maybe?

1. ?-( how to set color depth in GNOME (started with GDM not startx)

(I put this question on linux.setup 3 days ago, but no answer).

hello,

I just installed GNOME. When I try to start it as

$startx  -- -bpp 24

where my .xinitrc is like this:

------------
#!/bin/bash
panel &
exec gnome-wm
------------

It comes up, but it sort of not working right.  But When I start
it by typing 'gdm' and then select 'gnome' as the session to use,
then it works better (I can now see all the icons up, does not
crash as much, etc..., I suspect when I use my .xinitrc I have a
wrong path somethere, and it is picking an old gnome on my disk?
not sure, but when I start it as gdm, I am using root account, and
that does not have the problem)

Any way, this is not the problem, I can just type 'gdm' and startup GNOME,
my question is that it seems to default to 8 bits per pixel in this case,
and I want to run it at depth 24 instead.  not sure how to do that.

I looked at /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/gdm.conf for a place to set this,
but can;t seem to see it.

any idea?

thanks!
pete

2. Solaris vtoc problem / Partioning

3. RH 61 startx hangs on gnome-session only as root

4. New Zaurus models

5. Sudden startx failure, Gnome under RH 6.2

6. collisions

7. Apache: httpd starts successfully but does not respond on requests

8. kdiskcat

9. RH 7.0, Gnome, sound

10. RH 6.1 Install - Startx Doesn't (start)

11. mouse + video card with RH 7.0 and gnome help

12. Ximian Gnome 1.4 on RH Linux 7.0 -- Install problems

13. RH Linux 7.0 Install Killed DOS -- HOW?