Remote X terminal... won't use the terminals hardware

Remote X terminal... won't use the terminals hardware

Post by Bill La » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Dear all,
I have setup a network of diskless X terminals and servers. And I have
been very successful to let all the terminals mount the root nfs on the
server, and retreive + display XDMCP data from the server.
But I found that all the xterminals cannot run its own CD-ROM. Instead,
they tend to access all hardware resources in the application server, such
as CD-ROM.
I have heard that this is the "network transparent" property of X window
system. But how can I use back the terminals resourses?
Thanks in advance!
Bill Lam

Further questions:
Is it true that when I want to use my CD-ROM, the X terminal will send all
the loaded data to the application server for processing?
And, if I want to use my Sound Blaster 16, is it true that I MUST setup a
sound data straming services over my network?
Relevant links:
http://sound.condorow.net/
ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/audio/
Thanks again in advance!

Remote X terminal... won't use the terminals hardware

Post by Arne » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Take a look over here:
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/virtualfs/ (down at the moment........)
and/or:
http://www.ltsp.org/

Quote:> Dear all,
> I have setup a network of diskless X terminals and servers. And I have
> been very successful to let all the terminals mount the root nfs on the
> server, and retreive + display XDMCP data from the server.
> But I found that all the xterminals cannot run its own CD-ROM. Instead,
> they tend to access all hardware resources in the application server, such
> as CD-ROM.
> I have heard that this is the "network transparent" property of X window
> system. But how can I use back the terminals resourses?
> Thanks in advance!
> Bill Lam

> Further questions:
> Is it true that when I want to use my CD-ROM, the X terminal will send all
> the loaded data to the application server for processing?
> And, if I want to use my Sound Blaster 16, is it true that I MUST setup a
> sound data straming services over my network?
> Relevant links:
> http://sound.condorow.net/
> ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/audio/
> Thanks again in advance!

> --

Remote X terminal... won't use the terminals hardware

Post by Bill La » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Ar thanks. In fact, I have tried both packages. The LTSP one does not
support remote sound. The Solucorp one does give remote sound card
support, but, due to unknown problem, the updated sndconfig still gives
the hardware probing on the application server instead of the terminal....

> Take a look over here:
> http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/virtualfs/ (down at the moment........)
> and/or:
> http://www.ltsp.org/

> > Dear all,
> > I have setup a network of diskless X terminals and servers. And I have
> > been very successful to let all the terminals mount the root nfs on the
> > server, and retreive + display XDMCP data from the server.
> > But I found that all the xterminals cannot run its own CD-ROM. Instead,
> > they tend to access all hardware resources in the application server,
such
> > as CD-ROM.
> > I have heard that this is the "network transparent" property of X
window
> > system. But how can I use back the terminals resourses?
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Bill Lam

> > Further questions:
> > Is it true that when I want to use my CD-ROM, the X terminal will send
all
> > the loaded data to the application server for processing?
> > And, if I want to use my Sound Blaster 16, is it true that I MUST
setup a
> > sound data straming services over my network?
> > Relevant links:
> > http://sound.condorow.net/
> > ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/audio/
> > Thanks again in advance!

> > --

Remote X terminal... won't use the terminals hardware

Post by Steve Freita » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi Bill,

If you haven't, please make sure Jacques Gelinas from Solucorp knows about
this problem. He's extremely helpful and very quick with bugfixes.

Steve Freitas