KIllustrator: fun, fun, fun.

Post by Navindra Umane » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Wow, I've given KIllustrator[1] a cursory glance: colour me impressed!
I got the latest version of KIllustrator and compiled it without any
KOffice support (since I don't have KOffice libs and my KDE libs were
compiled without --enable-new-stuff).  It sure took a long time to
compile but it was worth it (they now have packages, dammit).

KIllustrator lets me draw shapes and curves, move them, rotate/shear
them (nifty!  click in the selected shape to get the rotation/shear
arrows), insert and manipulate pictures (GIFs), cut and paste them,
and much more...  I sure wish I had had this to show my Dad the last
time I was in Mauritius... (I think we settled on Microsoft
Draw/Publisher)

KIllustrator isn't even all that bloated, like I expected.  It took a
few seconds to launch on my fully bogged system and is responsive.

Interesting trivia, I copied an inserted GIF to the clipboard then
tried to paste it into XEmacs, the results;

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<doc mime="application/x-killustrator" >
<pixmap matrix="1 0 0 0 1 0 23 90 1" strokecolor="0 0 0" strokestyle="1" linewidth="1" fillstyle="0" src="file:/home/navindra/pics/misc/f-you.gif" width="575" height="80" />
</doc>

Not bad...  (the f-you.gif is from the see-figure-1[2] gag)

-N.

[1] http://wwwiti.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~sattler/killustrator.html
[2] http://spiffy.cso.uiuc.edu/~kline/Stuff/see-figure-1.html
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of

KIllustrator: fun, fun, fun.

Post by Eddy Youn » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Wow, I've given KIllustrator[1] a cursory glance: colour me impressed!
> I got the latest version of KIllustrator and compiled it without any
> KOffice support (since I don't have KOffice libs and my KDE libs were
> compiled without --enable-new-stuff).  It sure took a long time to
> compile but it was worth it (they now have packages, dammit).

> KIllustrator lets me draw shapes and curves, move them, rotate/shear
> them (nifty!  click in the selected shape to get the rotation/shear
> arrows), insert and manipulate pictures (GIFs), cut and paste them,
> and much more...  I sure wish I had had this to show my Dad the last
> time I was in Mauritius... (I think we settled on Microsoft
> Draw/Publisher)

Are you a Mauritian? I'm asking because I'm *ON* the island. And a
happy Linux user, too :)

Eddy

KIllustrator: fun, fun, fun.

Post by Navindra Umane » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy]

> Are you a Mauritian? I'm asking because I'm *ON* the island. And a

Yeah, I am. :)

Quote:> happy Linux user, too :)

That's great!  Did you have to order Linux CDs from the outside or are
they selling them alongside the pirated Windows software?  Are many
people interested in Linux there?  I take it any interest in Linux is
thanks to the Internet.  I heard there's been Linux ads on MBC though.

Cheers,
Navin.

PS Too bad you have to go through Telecom and can't have proper
   domains.mu.  Apparently they moved bow from Linux to NT too.
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of
Microsoft Word, WordPad, and Microsoft Word Viewer."  [Microsoft website]
           < http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~navindra/editors/ >

1. Fun fun fun! :)

I upgraded xf 4.0 to xf 4.0.1 on my PPC running YDL 1.2 (redhat).  I
wanted the latest and greatest video driver... which seems to be very
nice, so far!!

Well, for anyone about to do this, be warned that the XF86Config file
has incorrect keyboard mappings for G4s, anyway.  You can copy the old
settings from the old config file, and you have to do some tweaking
since the config file format has changed, but I think it will be obvious
to you when you compare the two.

Good luck to anyone else out there who is getting ready to upgrade.  I
also upgraded gnome to helix-gnome last night...  that too was an
adventure.  But thanks to the many helpful people who read this
newsgroup, I was able to get through it!   :)

Thanks!

Mike J.

2. How to use a gopher client program

3. fun, fun fun

4. Modem init strings

5. Ethernet card fun/APM fun

6. Which user group to join

7. Fun with named

8. print over tcp/ip

9. GLIBs, Paths, Kernels and other fun stuff.

10. Where the FUN is today!

11. Gates' Baby Names: FUN Break

12. Still having fun with SunPCi 2.3.....

13. more devfs fun