Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

Post by GIN-New » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

I had install my Linux on my second HD (slave). I change the HD to a bigger
one. When I took the old HD out and put it into another PC (run window) the
system can't find my HD (maybe because I had make the HD into ext format).
Can anyone tell me who I can make the window find the HD?

Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

Post by compwi » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Most likely your linux partition is of type 83 (hex), which is normal for a
Linux Native partition.  Windows, DOS, NT, OS/2, etc uses different types
and in order to change it, run FDisk under DOS and try to delete a non-dos
partition (option 3 then 4).  Afterwards, create a primary partition
(option 1 then 1).  Reboot the computer so that DOS will recognize the
newly created partition and format it.

Warning:  I don't know if you are putting the drive as a master or as a
slave, but assuming that you are using slave, make sure that you switch to
the second hd before you start deleting the partition (option 5).  This is
also a one way operation!  If you accidentally deleted partition(s), it is
very hard to recover any data!

The commands fdisk and format are two very destructive operations, so if
anything goes wrong, I'm not responsible!

> Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

> I had install my Linux on my second HD (slave). I change the HD to a
bigger
> one. When I took the old HD out and put it into another PC (run window)
the
> system can't find my HD (maybe because I had make the HD into ext
format).
> Can anyone tell me who I can make the window find the HD?

Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

Post by Anthony Ewel » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Raymond,

   You need to boot off a dos or windows 95/98 boot floppy.  If
you have a W98 CD-ROM, that will work as well.

    You then need to run the M$ partition tool, called "fdisk" to remove
ext2 partition and then re-partition it as fat.

   Good luck,
--Tony

> Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

> I had install my Linux on my second HD (slave). I change the HD to a bigger
> one. When I took the old HD out and put it into another PC (run window) the
> system can't find my HD (maybe because I had make the HD into ext format).
> Can anyone tell me who I can make the window find the HD?

Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

Post by Anthony Ewel » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Raymond,

   Make sure you include a subject when you eMail -- many spam
filter will erase messages with no subjects.

1)   if the disk in question is your boot disk, you must put
it on IDE BUS 0 (IDE-0) as your master drive.  (In theory, you can
violate this, but not in practice.)  If it is the only
drive on the bus and it is a Western digital drive, remove your
master slave jumper (WD disks require an actual slave disk, if you strap
them master)

2)   boot into your BIOS setup (typically <del> or <f2> or <f1>)

3)   go into your Auto IDE detection and verify that your hard drive
is detected correctly

4)   if the disk is your boot disk, before you leave BIOS setup, go
to your advanced settings and make sure you are booting off
of drive C: (also called IDE-0 and Primary Master)

5)  exit and save; make sure you see your hard drive on the BIOS splash screen
as your computer reboots.  If the BIOS can't see your HD, DO NOT BOTHER WITH
DOS!

6)  boot into to dos or a windows 9x dos box (called "Command Prompt")

7)  Now we are back to fdisk.  run fdisk to erase the old partition.  Then
recreate
your fat partition.

8)  You will need to reboot and format the disk before you can actually use it
                  format  d: /u          if it is your second disk and second
partition
                  format  c: /s /u       if it is your boot disk

Have fun,

--Tony

> Hi,
> thanks for answering my question, but....
> The problem is when I boot in DOS, the PC can't find the HD.
> can you guess what the problem might be? ( I had set the HD for slave HD,
> I'm sure the hardware setting is right, but the DOS still can find the HD)

> >Subject: Re: Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat
> >format!
> >Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:36:36 -0800

> >Hi Raymond,

> >    You need to boot off a dos or windows 95/98 boot floppy.  If
> >you have a W98 CD-ROM, that will work as well.

> >     You then need to run the M$ partition tool, called "fdisk" to remove
> >ext2 partition and then re-partition it as fat.

> >    Good luck,
> >--Tony

1. Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

I had install my Linux on my second HD (slave). I change the HD to a bigger
one. When I took the old HD out and put it into another PC (run window) the
system can't find my HD (maybe because I had make the HD into ext format).
Can anyone tell me who I can make the window find the HD?

2. benchmark https, how?

3. SLS's a2-disk - DOS-formatted or raw-formatted??

4. ports 2000-2003 security question

5. can't format a dos-formatted floppy disk

6. Accessing SCOHTTP via Character Terminal rather than SCOHELP(Xterm)

7. Can't mount MO disk FAT formatted

8. bind-8.2

9. 'Invalid Format' - New Hard disk (Newbie!)

10. How do you 'format' a Linux hard disk partition?

11. Format Hard Drive to FAT

12. Howto change files in Dos format to Linux format

13. format.dat or "format" info for hp c2490a-300 disk