Killing Netscape gracefully

Post by Aaron Gin » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have seen numerous references to using telnet to kill Netscape when
that app brings X to its knees, but I'm wondering how this is done on
a standalone box.  I usually just CTRL-ALT-Backspace the X server and
then restart, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this.

Of course I know I can send a kill -9 signal to terminate the netscape
session if I can get a terminal window to respond, but is there
another way to kill Netscape if the X server is completely locked up?
For instance, is there a key combination that I can use to suspend X
and just get a shell where I can kill Netscape, and then restart X
with all my other X apps still in the same state?

Thanks,
Aaron
--
Aaron J. Ginn                     Motorola SPS
Phone: (480) 814-4463             SemiCustom Solutions

Killing Netscape gracefully

Post by bjohn.. » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

One thing you might trying is to switch to one of your other virtual
terminals.  You can do this by doing a <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1...F7>.  F7 is your
Xsession, and F1 should be your console.  Simply change to one of the
remaining virtual terminals, log in and kill netscape.

Brett

> I have seen numerous references to using telnet to kill Netscape when
> that app brings X to its knees, but I'm wondering how this is done on
> a standalone box.  I usually just CTRL-ALT-Backspace the X server and
> then restart, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this.
> Of course I know I can send a kill -9 signal to terminate the netscap

<snip>

--
"I'm sorry, our software is perfect.  The problem must be you."
Dogbert.

Post by Peter T. Breu » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

: session if I can get a terminal window to respond, but is there
: another way to kill Netscape if the X server is completely locked up?
: For instance, is there a key combination that I can use to suspend X
: and just get a shell where I can kill Netscape, and then restart X

Sure. The standard ctrl-alt-fn keys. They give you a text console (if
you have a getty running on them). Just login at the prompt and kill
netscape, then ctrl-alt-fn back to the X session.

Peter

Killing Netscape gracefully

Post by John McKo » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Of course I know I can send a kill -9 signal to terminate the netscape

I switch to a character mode console, login as root, do a "ps -Af" to find
netscape's pid. I then do a "kill -HUP <pid>" to kill it. This is more
graceful than "kill -9 <pid>". This has always worked for me. But I don't
use netscape much. I don't surf the web from home all that much.

John

1. How can I kill SLIP gracefully????

: How can I kill SLIP gracefully? To setup slip, I am using the following:

:         >slattach -p slip -s 38400 /dev/ttyS0 &
:         >ifconfig sl0 202.202.20.50 up
:         >route add default dev sl0

: To take down SLIP, I am doing this:

:         >ifconfig sl0 down
:         >kill -9 <process id for slattach>

: The problem is that when I try to bring SLIP back up, ifconfig won't work.
: Here is what I am doing to bring SLIP back up:

:         >slattch -p slip -s 38400 /dev/ttyS0 &
:         >ifconfig sl0 202.202.20.50 up

: After I enter the ifconfig line, I get this:

:         >SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

When you take down your SLIP connection, try:

        route del default
        ifconfig sl0 down
        kill -HUP <slattach pid>

I actually have two route commands in my SLIP startup script, one
to add the route, and another to add a default gateway.  In any
case, I think the key is to undo everything in reverse order to
how it was started and kill slattach with a -HUP to let it shut
down properly.  It is usually a bad idea to kill things with -9
unless you really have to.

Good luck,
Dave

2. Wanted Cyrillic fonts

3. How to kill a bg job gracefully!!

4. via82cxxx_audio not recording....

5. how to adjust screen idle blanking?

6. Killing SLIP gracefully?

7. portfw over T1 to a different subnet?

8. Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

9. Killing SLIP gracefully? PAGE 2

10. How to kill uucico gracefully

11. KILL KILL KILL

12. Kill COREL; Kill COREL; Kill COREL; ...