Textmode corruption with S3 ViRGE/DX X server

Textmode corruption with S3 ViRGE/DX X server

Post by Christopher L. Wolf » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I recently did the whole lib5 -> glibc2 upgrade thing and am now
starting to get some odd textmode corruption after using X with my S3
ViRGE/DX. The problem occurs frequently, but not 100% of the time.
Basically, what happens is this:

When I start my X server, I know I'm in for trouble because I get a
strange, multicolored textmode pattern on the screen after the
VC blanks. This goes away in a split second and X continues to load
normally. However, if I kill X or switch to a text VC afterwords the
text characters are all screwed up. Usually, it starts with pixel
corruption in the slashes and dashes, then, as I continue to restart and
kill X, it moves to the numbers and white space and eventually to all
the non-alphabetic characters. Very soon, the entire screen is awash
with garbage pixels--*except* the alphabetic characters--making textmode
pretty much unusable. The only way I know to fix things is to reboot.

The card functioned perfectly when I was using libc5 (w/ Slackware 3.5)
and all kernels 2.0.0 through 2.0.35. I've tryed the glibc2 SVGA and S3V
servers as well as the libc5 SVGA server to no avail. I've tryed every
combination of server flags and have even gone so far as to yank
everything out of my computer except the video card, so I know it's not
a conflict with any of my peripherials. I remember having a problem
somewhat like this a long time ago with a Diamond Stealth VL, but I
don't remember how I fixed it ...

If any one knows how to solve this problem, or at least reset the
textmode part of my video card after running X, please let me know. The
relevent stats follow:

Video: Diamond 3D 2000 Pro PCI w/ 4MB VRAM (S3 ViRGE/DX chipset) on IRQ
11.
Server: XF86_SVGA 3.3.2.3, build date July 15 1998.
Kernel: 2.0.35
Dist: Debian 2.0, w/ all stable updates.

The processor is an IBM 6x86 PR200+ based on a design lisensed from
Cyrix ... there is an off chance that this is a problem as people have
had difficulties w/ Cyrix based chips before, but I've been using this
CPU/video combination for some time without a problem ...

Christopher L. Wolfe

1. S3 ViRGE/DX and S3 ViRGE/GX: is one better than the other?

On a friend's recommendation, I ordered an S3 ViRGE/DX video card for
the PC I am putting together. I received an S3 ViRGE/GX card instead.

Is one better than the other in general? Is one more compatible with
XFree86? Or are the two roughly the same, so that I should just keep
the GX card?

Thanks for your input,

Mike Decerbo

617-873-4443

2. AIX API to run a Actuate Report in ARS.

3. S3 Virge/DX and Text Font Corruption

4. PPPoE and IP MASQ: ftp is great, HTTP is broken, NNTP is broken

5. Help about X server on S3 VIRGE/DX 3000 with DSV3325DX graphic processor

6. RH 7.2 bizarre CDROM problem

7. S3 Virge / DX Server

8. stat() not returning what I had expected

9. X Server for S3 ViRGE /DX

10. Mouse corruption usiing Redhat 5.2 w/SVGA server and S3 Virge GX card

11. text corruption after using xfree86 on a virge dx

12. glquake with a S3 virge/dx card?

13. S3 ViRGE DX Problems