S3-805 won't work above 800x600

Post by Jon Hilt » Thu, 19 Jan 1995 10:19:57

I have a "generic" S3-805 based VL bus card, running under XFree-3.1. I can
get it to work in standard VGA mode, and 800x600 works at a slow refresh rate.
X -probeonly finds a reasonable looking set of clocks - no programmable clock
generator problem, it seems. The probe shows an S3 rev C or greater. The only
major chip on the board apart from the S3 is a Chrontel CH8391V. Anyone know
what that is?

I have obtained the patchlevel 5 S3 server, have put Option "nolinear" in my
XF86Config, fiddled like crazy with the timings - all to no avail. I either
get a blank screen on my 15" digital super VGA (30-65 kHz horizontal, 50-100
vertical) or an extremely unreadable, horizontally torn, vertically unsynced
screen.

The same hardware works fine at 1280x1024 non-interlaced under Windoze.

I have no clues - what is going on? Any help or suggestions gratefully accepted

Jon Hilton

Post by Jon Hilt » Fri, 20 Jan 1995 19:46:12

>Subject: S3-805 won't work above 800x600
>Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 01:19:57

Just breaking the net.rules a little and following up my own posting:

Quote:>I have a "generic" S3-805 based VL bus card, running under XFree-3.1. I can
>get it to work in standard VGA mode, and 800x600 works at a slow refresh rate.
>X -probeonly finds a reasonable looking set of clocks - no programmable clock
>generator problem, it seems. The probe shows an S3 rev C or greater. The only
>major chip on the board apart from the S3 is a Chrontel CH8391V. Anyone know
>what that is?

The Chontel 8931 is a Ramdac and Clock generator

Quote:>I have obtained the patchlevel 5 S3 server, have put Option "nolinear" in my
>XF86Config, fiddled like crazy with the timings - all to no avail. I either
>get a blank screen on my 15" digital super VGA (30-65 kHz horizontal, 50-100
>vertical) or an extremely unreadable, horizontally torn, vertically unsynced
>screen.

The reason for this is that the 8931 is not quite standard apparently. There
is a clock generator program for it - the URL is

ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ml/mlshew/pub/chrontel8391.tar.gz

There are installation instructions in the archive.

So if you are having problems like those described above, have a look for a
Chrontel 8391 on your video card. If you have one, you MUST use the above
clock driver. Once you do this, you will find that the standard VESA modes
provide good starting points for your setup.

Jon Hilton (again)

S3-805 won't work above 800x600

Post by Mark Shewmak » Sun, 22 Jan 1995 14:33:13

[Discusion of problems with generic S3805 video card with
a chrontel 8391 ramdac deleted.  (Is this also a JAX8241?)]

Quote:>The reason for this is that the 8931 is not quite standard apparently. There
>is a clock generator program for it - the URL is

>ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ml/mlshew/pub/chrontel8391.tar.gz

>There are installation instructions in the archive.

And now, with even more instructions!  :-)

Richard Burdick just sent me an updated version, which I put
up for ftp this morning (Friday, January 20).  It also has a
slight change to better support 16 bit color.

If you got the file before the 20th, get it again!

Mark Shewmaker

1. Getting X to work on DEC S3-805

I'm installing Linux (Slackware 2.1) on a DEC LPx 433dx w/ 16 megs of Ram
the video card is an S3-805 with the ATT2409C (that's not exactly it) ramdac
and I can't get X to run in anything over 320x200 if I type startx.
If I type XF86_S3 it'll run in the proper resolutions but I don't get any
windows.

 Does anyone know how to fix this?
--

"When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long and so
regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones which open for

2. Help to test my system!

3. Need *working* S3-805/ICS-5300 config

4. Does this How-To Exist ?

5. Making VL-41 S3-805 work in X, for anything BUT 640X480!

6. Netscape font

7. S3-805 on Yggdrasil Fall'94

8. routing/lans/and networks and modems :-)

9. Is S3-86C805 == S3-805 ?

10. Can't get Xfree86 for S3 86C357 (AGP) ViRGE GX2 above 800x600

11. 'Brun Screen' with S3 805 and XFree 2.1

12. XFree locking up on S3-805

13. S3-805 dot clocks