Problems with XFree86 3.3 S3 virge chip server

Problems with XFree86 3.3 S3 virge chip server

Post by Jeff Marck » Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:00:00

greetings;

I just upgraded to XFree86 3.3 today.  I have a S3 Virge PCI video card
in my system.  I noticed a dramatic increase in speed for the display.

I also noticed some problems.  1st, some of the screensavers dont
display anything anymore.  2nd, Some of the screen savers leave random
pixels turned on.  3rd, I like to play xpilot but now the screen
is updated so fast that I cant see what I am doing.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Jeff

Post by Scott McMilla » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> greetings;

> I just upgraded to XFree86 3.3 today.  I have a S3 Virge PCI video card
> in my system.  I noticed a dramatic increase in speed for the display.

> I also noticed some problems.  1st, some of the screensavers dont
> display anything anymore.  2nd, Some of the screen savers leave random
> pixels turned on.  3rd, I like to play xpilot but now the screen
> is updated so fast that I cant see what I am doing.

> Does anybody have any ideas?

> Jeff

First, my machine is at home so I don't remember all the info.

I was experiencing the same problems as encountered in point #1 (never
really checked #2).  I was also noticing single-buffer Mesa problems
with fragment filling operations (uses XDrawPoint? -- I can't remember
off hand).

Anyway I tracked the Mesa problems with the help of a few XFree
developers to a bug in the S3V server.  I have information on a patch
for it at home.  Since I have patched the server, I have not checked the
screensavers...until now I did not associate the two.

I will check it out when I get home send me email.  If you need more
info.

As for point #3...I guess you need to use a mode with a slower dot
clock?

Regards,
scott

--
  Scott McMillan  |    HT Medical, Inc.   | Developing medical VE's

 Ph: 301-984-3706 |6001 Montrose Rd., #902| and surgery simulation
Fax: 301-984-2104 |  Rockville, MD 20852  | creation tools.

Problems with XFree86 3.3 S3 virge chip server

Post by Jack Stra » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Jeff:
Could you be a little bit more specific? What brand name is the card? What
XFree86 server are you using? The S3 server or the SVGA server?

JS

Quote:> greetings;