gcc 2.95.1 does not compile KDE 1.1.2

Post by George Shapovalo » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi

    I am trying to update my compiler to the last version (2.95.1 as I
saw on www.gnu.org). Currently I have egcs 2.91.36, slightly more than
year old version. (I hope to see some change in recompiled apps and
besides I got tired of that "gcc vs. egcs" - every app seems to require
its own version! Now that they combined under one release it should
(hopefully) go away). I am not sure if I am doing it right.
    I compile gcc 2.95.1 with my current compiler following described
procedure:
./configure --prefix=/usr --local-prefix=/usr
--something-about-gxx=/where/it/should/be :-)
make CFLAGS=... [many flags - I try to get rid of debug and profile info
as it is described in BUILD] bootstrap-lean
make install

    First I tried to do ./configure without setting --prefix= and so on.
By default it installs gcc in /usr/local. It does it by I could not get
root to use new compiler. I found that resupplying all --prefix
--local-prefix and --something-about-gxx to the default positions (under
/usr) does the work.

New compiler compiles kernel fine, I compiled lately released SB Live
driver - no problem. However I routinely getting into the trouble with
xfree and kde (I didn't try more X oriented apps).
make World for X compiles in an hour (at least it does not halt with
"Error" message) but does not produce any X servers  even though I
triple checked the configuration and it seemed to do that with my old
compiler.
When compiling kde it halts already on kdesupport package in mimelib
complaining about invalid asm instruction, something about assigning
fixed register (CX) somewhere. Again old version does the job.
    I tried recompiling gcc with all variants (presence/absence) of
--enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-cpp --enable-cpplibs, no
difference.
I seem to remember seeing success stories about compiling these
libs/apps by this version of gcc. At least as I know that development of
glx library (3D support for Matrox/TNT cards for xfree86) done with this
compiler.
What I am doing wrong?

1. gcc 2.95.1 does not compile KDE 1.1.2

[...]

2. shutodwn/reboot problems

3. gcc/flex cross-compile to linux->dos (win/95)

4. EJECT? Looking for package to allow floppies in Linux to work like they do in DOS

5. Compile GCC 2.95.3 in RedHat 7.0 failed !!

6. pine & maildir

7. gcc 2.95.2 and compiling apache

8. Binary <> Linux and Ethernet cards

9. Will mplayer compile with gcc-2.95?

10. Help please:gcc 2.95.2 and libstdc++ 2.90.8 won't compile

11. Help Compiling GCC 2.95.1 (Please!! )

12. Compile SMTP-PROXY -1.1.3 with gcc 2.95.3

13. cannot compile Apache on HPUX 11 using gcc 2.95.3 and binutils 2.11