SWiM Motif and Linux Problems?

Post by Frederick Heitka » Sun, 17 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I purchased SWiM Motif 2.0 some time ago.  Since I upgraded to ELF I get lots
of segmentation violations with some programs I compile and tun, mostly book
examples etc.  It seems to vary with which kernel version I use.  The 1.2.13
kernel never works, while the 1.3.7x kernels seem to work some of the time.
I have sent email to lasermoon and they ignore me.  Which is certainly nice,
since they (or ACC Bookstore) have $200US of my money.  Am I alone with these
problems or are there others like me out there?  Is this a SWiM or
Linux problem.

Fred Heitkamp

SWiM Motif and Linux Problems?

Post by Darin Erns » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I had exactly this problem, both with seg faults, and
a lack of response from Lasermoon.  The problem is with
your libc, or at least with the interaction of SWiM and
libc.  They have new libc's available on their ftp site
that will fix the problem.  They don't modify Motif, but
modify libc instead.  That's their philosophy.

If you call them on the phone you can get some help ($$).

Try ftp.lasermoon.co.uk.  I blasted them on the net
once, but after talking to them, they fixed my problems.
You may never get a response via email.

Darin

> I purchased SWiM Motif 2.0 some time ago.  Since I upgraded to ELF I get lots
> of segmentation violations with some programs I compile and tun, mostly book
> examples etc.  It seems to vary with which kernel version I use.  The 1.2.13
> kernel never works, while the 1.3.7x kernels seem to work some of the time.
> I have sent email to lasermoon and they ignore me.  Which is certainly nice,
> since they (or ACC Bookstore) have $200US of my money.  Am I alone with these
> problems or are there others like me out there?  Is this a SWiM or
> Linux problem.

> Fred Heitkamp

1. SWiM Motif and Linux Problems?

Sorry -- I have a much older version using Slackware libc.so.4.6.27.
I had seg faults with many demos, particularly with 'open file
selection dialog box' .  Lasermoon had a new libc specifically
for this Slackware version that fixed the problems.  I don't
think I can help people with other versions -- this is basically
all I know.  Your best bet would be to talk to Ian at Lasermoon,
whom I found very helpful.  They tend to be overloaded with
support questions, so a phone call may be best.

Darin

2. mount win xp drive on linux

3. SWiM Motif compilation and link problems.

4. readline()

5. mwm man page problems in SWIM Motif

6. Using Mosaic as a local application launcher, anyone?

7. RedHat 3.0.3 and SWiM Motif problem

8. Can't startx

9. SwIM Motif File selector problem

10. SWiM Motif 2.0/ File selection dialog problems...

11. Help Motif (SWiM): Problems compiling demos

12. SWiM Motif 2.0 & Slackware 3.0 -- major problems

13. SWiM Motif 2.0 Problem