problems with SuSE 7.1 display

Post by Thomas G » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:13:27

Hi,

Recently I bought Suse linux 7.1 and installed it. Almost everything works
ok, except a for few things. I finally got my GeForce 2MX card working, but
it still causes some problems. When the X-server is started, and I try to
switch runlevels with the init command, or kill the x-server with
ctrl-alt-f1 or ctrl-alt-backsp, or logout and select "console mode" at
shutdown, my display hangs. I don't get to see anything of the console, and
I don't know if this is working properly either (sometimes I manage to fill
in my username and pwd blindly and then restart the pc, but most of the
times it seems like a complete crash) . My screen just freezes when I try to
do these things, and when I try to reconfigure it with Sax2 the screen goes
black (no signal to minotor) most of the time, when I am ready to test my
config.

Do these problems sound familiar to anybody (I hope so, because this Geforce
card is really getting to me by now.)

HEEEEEEEELP!!!

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

problems with SuSE 7.1 display

Post by Peter Peterse » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 05:20:11

Quote:>Recently I bought Suse linux 7.1 and installed it. Almost everything works
>ok, except a for few things. I finally got my GeForce 2MX card working, but
>it still causes some problems. When the X-server is started, and I try to
>switch runlevels with the init command, or kill the x-server with
>ctrl-alt-f1 or ctrl-alt-backsp, or logout and select "console mode" at
>shutdown, my display hangs. I don't get to see anything of the console, and
>I don't know if this is working properly either (sometimes I manage to fill
>in my username and pwd blindly and then restart the pc, but most of the
>times it seems like a complete crash) . My screen just freezes when I try to
>do these things, and when I try to reconfigure it with Sax2 the screen goes
>black (no signal to minotor) most of the time, when I am ready to test my
>config.

>Do these problems sound familiar to anybody (I hope so, because this Geforce
>card is really getting to me by now.)

Hello!

Oh yes, and how these problems sound familiar to me!
I also couldn't switch between X and text console without seeing the
monitor going into powersaving mode with no chance of awakening it
again.
I tried all kinds of things, disabling agp, enabling it, changing all
kinds of BIOS settings, in vain!

I use suse 6.4 which I manually updated in many ways. The problem was
with the 0.9.6 nvidia drivers.
Finally, I tried the older 0.9.5 drivers, and surprise:
I can switch between X and console without being forced to reboot.

Nevertheless, there are many problems left which prevent me from really
using linux (instead of windows me):
- dpms doesn't work/doesn't work right; when enabled I only get part of
all the powersaving modes - moreover, after a while (especially with 3d
games) the whole screen gets very "unstable", which means that any
slight mouse movement gets the monitor in energy saving mode! So I have
to disable dpms, not good at all!
- even after disabling dpms, linux/X often crashes, sometimes after an
hour, sometimes after only a few minutes, forcing me to use the magic
sysrq key combination (which doesn't always work, by the way), because I
can't switch to anything any longer
- my athlon thunderbird gets very hot under linux, much more so than
under windows me

Well, doesn't sound that positive, but at least give the 0.9.5 drivers a
chance, perhaps they help a little bit.

Regards
Peter Petersen

problems with SuSE 7.1 display

Post by Thomas G » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:58:20

Thanks a lot, I spent weeks solving that problem.

> >Recently I bought Suse linux 7.1 and installed it. Almost everything
works
> >ok, except a for few things. I finally got my GeForce 2MX card working,
but
> >it still causes some problems. When the X-server is started, and I try to
> >switch runlevels with the init command, or kill the x-server with
> >ctrl-alt-f1 or ctrl-alt-backsp, or logout and select "console mode" at
> >shutdown, my display hangs. I don't get to see anything of the console,
and
> >I don't know if this is working properly either (sometimes I manage to
fill
> >in my username and pwd blindly and then restart the pc, but most of the
> >times it seems like a complete crash) . My screen just freezes when I try
> >do these things, and when I try to reconfigure it with Sax2 the screen
goes
> >black (no signal to minotor) most of the time, when I am ready to test my
> >config.

> >Do these problems sound familiar to anybody (I hope so, because this
Geforce
> >card is really getting to me by now.)

> Hello!

> Oh yes, and how these problems sound familiar to me!
> I also couldn't switch between X and text console without seeing the
> monitor going into powersaving mode with no chance of awakening it
> again.
> I tried all kinds of things, disabling agp, enabling it, changing all
> kinds of BIOS settings, in vain!

> I use suse 6.4 which I manually updated in many ways. The problem was
> with the 0.9.6 nvidia drivers.
> Finally, I tried the older 0.9.5 drivers, and surprise:
> I can switch between X and console without being forced to reboot.

> Nevertheless, there are many problems left which prevent me from really
> using linux (instead of windows me):
> - dpms doesn't work/doesn't work right; when enabled I only get part of
> all the powersaving modes - moreover, after a while (especially with 3d
> games) the whole screen gets very "unstable", which means that any
> slight mouse movement gets the monitor in energy saving mode! So I have
> to disable dpms, not good at all!
> - even after disabling dpms, linux/X often crashes, sometimes after an
> hour, sometimes after only a few minutes, forcing me to use the magic
> sysrq key combination (which doesn't always work, by the way), because I
> can't switch to anything any longer
> - my athlon thunderbird gets very hot under linux, much more so than
> under windows me

> Well, doesn't sound that positive, but at least give the 0.9.5 drivers a
> chance, perhaps they help a little bit.

> Regards
> Peter Petersen

problems with SuSE 7.1 display

Post by Thomas G » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:14:46

See below

> Hello!

> Oh yes, and how these problems sound familiar to me!
> I also couldn't switch between X and text console without seeing the
> monitor going into powersaving mode with no chance of awakening it
> again.
> I tried all kinds of things, disabling agp, enabling it, changing all
> kinds of BIOS settings, in vain!

> I use suse 6.4 which I manually updated in many ways. The problem was
> with the 0.9.6 nvidia drivers.
> Finally, I tried the older 0.9.5 drivers, and surprise:
> I can switch between X and console without being forced to reboot.

> Nevertheless, there are many problems left which prevent me from really
> using linux (instead of windows me):
> - dpms doesn't work/doesn't work right; when enabled I only get part of
> all the powersaving modes - moreover, after a while (especially with 3d
> games) the whole screen gets very "unstable", which means that any
> slight mouse movement gets the monitor in energy saving mode! So I have
> to disable dpms, not good at all!
> - even after disabling dpms, linux/X often crashes, sometimes after an
> hour, sometimes after only a few minutes, forcing me to use the magic
> sysrq key combination (which doesn't always work, by the way), because I
> can't switch to anything any longer
> - my athlon thunderbird gets very hot under linux, much more so than
> under windows me

Is this temperature increase the doing of the NVidia cards?

Quote:> Well, doesn't sound that positive, but at least give the 0.9.5 drivers a
> chance, perhaps they help a little bit.

> Regards
> Peter Petersen

problems with SuSE 7.1 display

Post by Peter Peterse » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:46:47

Quote:>> - my athlon thunderbird gets very hot under linux, much more so than
>> under windows me

>Is this temperature increase the doing of the NVidia cards?

That's very likely (resp. the not so stable nvidia drivers, perhaps in
combination with the failing dpms under linux).
I always see it after an extended 3d game (like quakeworld), if I
still get a chance of leaving the game and checking with lm_sensors;
otherwise, the machine is still locked hard and if I am lucky, I can
use magic sysrq.

Under normal usage (without 3d), this hasn't happened so far.

Best regards
Peter Petersen

problems with SuSE 7.1 display

Post by Peter Peterse » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:48:36

Quote:>otherwise, the machine is still locked hard and if I am lucky, I can

                           ^^^^^
Some correction: of course this should read "already" :)

1. SuSE 7.1 display errors

Hi,

Recently I bought Suse 7.1 and installed it. Almost everything works ok,
[...]

2. 1.3.83 - strange behavior of localhost

3. SuSe 7.2 makes SuSe 7.1 look like beta software and Mandrake 8 like alpha.

4. physical memory in HP

5. SuSE 7.0 geht => SuSE 7.1 jetzt nich mehr

6. net/core/dev.c:1465

7. Problem with icon display in Redhat 7.1 XTerm

8. Please take me in

9. vncviewer in redhat 7.1: blank display problem

10. Display problem after Red Hat 7.1 install.

11. RedHat 7.1 on Asus A1300CD notebook display problems

12. LDAP problem in SuSE 7.1 ftp