Looking for a good X Client for Win 95/98 to talk to my Linux box.

Post by Robert Geige » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Looking for a good X Client for Win 95/98 to talk to my Linux box.

Any suggestions?   Any Free solutions?

Thanks

Post by Daniel Buettne » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Looking for a good X Client for Win 95/98 to talk to my Linux box.
> Any suggestions?   Any Free solutions?

I really like xfig.  It is a pretty nifty client and is, of course, free.
A lot of people seem to rather like the GiMP, too.  Netscape is another.

But something tells me you actually meant X *server* not X *client*.
In that case, I would sort of recommend SuperX which I use at work.  I
say sort of recommend since it has exhibited a few strange problems
that tech support said would be fixed with a patch sent to me.  Naturally,
no such patch has appeared.  Maybe this is because I am only running a
trial version and not the paid for retail.  None the less, it is a
pretty good product.

MicroImages has a truly free X server (the only one I have ever found)
but I don't care for it much.  I runs a local (on Windows) copy of twm.

hope this helped,
--
~
~

Post by ken.. » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Looking for a good X Client for Win 95/98 to talk to my Linux box.

My web site lists a couple of dozen X servers for MS-Win
and also several products that convert MS-Win GUIs to X protocol
so they can display on your Linux X server.
--
Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

Post by Mark Mealma » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Looking for a good X Client for Win 95/98 to talk to my Linux box.

>Any suggestions?   Any Free solutions?

>Thanks

Check out Reflection X. They have a 2 month trial download and IMHO it's by far
the best Win95 X-Win server for accessing a *nix box.

The X-Term windows pop up in Win32 frames so they live side-by-side with Win95
apps. But all the GUI graphics of your X-stuff tranfer over. It worked real well
with my WindowMaker Linux desktop.

The commercial price is something like $360, which seems to be pretty average.

Mark

Post by Bob Tenne » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

 >Looking for a good X Client for Win 95/98 to talk to my Linux box.
 >
 >Any suggestions?   Any Free solutions?

A good free solution is VNC, available from

www.orl.co.uk/vnc

Bob T.

1. Linux as the file and internet server with win NT/95/98 clients

I am new to Linux.  I have not worked with Unix.  It is unclear to me how
you can run Linux as a file server and allow internet access through it with
the clients being win 95/98 and NT Workstation (25 total clients).  Internet
access is through a router on a dedicated 56k frame relay line using a
windows based proxy program.

The company is reluctant to spend big $ for Back Office and I can't blame
them for that but they want to know how Linux could solve their problems.
They have specific windows based applications running off the one win 95
machine to different clients.  I would imagine that can't be done with a
Linux Server.   One program uses the Sybase engine another FoxPro and
another Provide X.

I am interested in hearing of some solutions or should they bow to
Microsoft.

Joseph Norcott
Business Technologies Of New England, Inc.

www.btne.com

2. Problem compiling qt-x11-2.1.1 !

3. NFS-Client for win 95/98

4. My kfm runs netscape?

5. Xwindows client for Win NT/95/98

6. Setup: a tool for managing /opt on a network

7. Remote editor for Win-95/98/NT and MacOS clients?

8. quake under 16-bit X ?

9. Samba / Win 95 / Win 98 Encryption

10. Good Win'95 telnet client to access Linux server

11. Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

12. Passwd Server for Win-NT,95,98 & Linux

13. Samba, can't browse from Win 98 box to Linux box...