CDE: dtfile and others on second monitor

CDE: dtfile and others on second monitor

Post by R Look » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have two monitors on my Redhat/Accelerated-X/MaximumCDE system and I
would really like to start using them. So far, the only things I have
been able to put on the second screen is a dtterm or xterm, both of
which have a -display command line switch you can use.

I would also like to be able to have a dtfile File Manager run on the
other screen but unfortunately it doesn't support the -disp option.
Hmmmm ... what to do? I would have thought that setting $DISPLAY=:0.1 in
an xterm and running dtfile from it or else running dtfile from an xterm
that's already on screen 0.1 would of done it but it doesn't work that
way. I wouldn't mind having a dtpad over there either. Any ideas anyone?
X-resources perhaps? How?

Also, I have heard somewhere that somebody came up with a way to put a
control panel on the second screen. It seemed like a rather involved
proceedure, but I think it would be well worth the hassle if I only knew
how to do it. Who was that person? Anybody?

Incidently, I found this quite by accident but I am glad I did so I'll
share it with all you other multi-monitor users of CDE. You can run the
style manager on the other screen so you can change the backdrop (I like
mine to be matched). Here's how you do it:

First, put a dtterm or an xterm on the desired screen (actually, I think
any iconizable program would work). Then minimize it so it is an icon on
the desktop. Select an icon on the second monitor so that it is
highlighted. While the icon is still highlighted, click on the style
manager in the control panel of the main screen. The style manager will
appear on the same screen that has the icon that was highlighted. Cool
huh?

Thanks for any help,

1. CDE dtfile, Solaris 2.5.1

On some Solaris 2.5.1 computers, dtfile tries to open

        /net/computer-name/path/to/current/directory

instead of

        /path/to/current/directory

But it works properly (using /path/to/current/directory) on
some other Solaris 2.5.1 computers.  The computers have the
same configuration (other than partition sizing) and use the
same NIS server and automount maps (though the problem occurs
on both local and NFS automounted directories).

What could be the problem?

2. Anyone have Compudyne SVGA KD-1440G monitor or similar?

3. CDE's slow dtfile?

4. calling vi gurus

5. CDE: dtfile -restricted

6. Window Manager Question

7. CDE 1.0.1 dtfile disappears?

8. how install a program.

9. rmmount.conf entry for CDE dtfile?

10. CDE problem: dtfile fails with Open Directory Error

11. CDE 'dtfile' behaviour problem

12. CDE/with two monitors

13. Second Monitor CDE login Failure