Stealth 64 DRAM vs VRAM Chipset

Post by Evmorfopoulos Dimitr » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 03:37:31

: : I saw something interesting and I wanted some verification as to
: : whether or not this is true. In the February issue of Computer
: : Shopper, the Stealth 64 VRAM is said to use the the S3 Vision 964
: : whereas the DRAM version is said to use the S3 Trio. Is this true, and
: : if so, what is the performance difference between the two chipsets,
: : ignoring the differences in RAM.

: I bought a Stealth 64 VRAM 2Meg, and it ran flawlessly under XFree386 3.1.
: I used in 16 bit color mode at 1152x900. A dream. Fast, and colorful.
: However, the board was a bit pricey (with tax, $400), so I decided
: to return it and take a chance with the 2Meg DRAM board, knowing that
: the newer Trio 764 was supported under 3.1.1.
: Well, I was surprised when I got the board, it had an 864 instead of the Trio.
: I ran it under the same 3.1 server, and again it worked flawlessly.
: And guess what: I noticed no differences in speed or quality, yet the board
: cost me less than half of what I paid for the VRAM ($188).

: I doubt that there are any big performance differences between the 864 and Trio.
: Conclusion: the Trio should be a pretty safe buy, assuming that its support
: under 3.1.1 is solid.

: : Roman

: : PS: I am trying to find a decent card that does 24 bpp at 1024x768
: : that runs with XFREE 3.1 and higher. Recommendations?

: If you really want 24 bpp at that resolution, you have to go with the
: VRAM board loaded with 4 megs. The DRAM board will limit you to 16 bpp at that
: resolution, because its maximum capacity is 2 Meg.

        The speed difference of the 2 boards is about 70K Xstones. The Vram
964 board gives me 250K Xstones, and the Dram 864 gives me 180K Xstones.
The difference is not obvious, but it is there. Text scrolls seem the same.
On thing I noticed is that the 864 board (#9 btw) gives 34fps with mpeg_play
on a dx4-100, and the 964 (diamond) gives 26fps on a P54-100. So, I
dont know what to say.... realy.

Stealth 64 DRAM vs VRAM Chipset

Post by Dr » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 09:52:35

The 'trio' is the S3 764 chip which is shipping in 'new' stealth 64
dram cards.  I don't know how it compares to the 864 in the old cards,
but it is even cheaper (I think I saw a price of US$149!)

--

- \ | / - \ | / - \ | / - \ | / - \ | / - \ | / - \ | / - \ | / - \ | / - \ | /

Post by Jason McNei » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 13:00:36

: I saw something interesting and I wanted some verification as to
: whether or not this is true. In the February issue of Computer
: Shopper, the Stealth 64 VRAM is said to use the the S3 Vision 964
: whereas the DRAM version is said to use the S3 Trio. Is this true, and
: if so, what is the performance difference between the two chipsets,
: ignoring the differences in RAM.

: Roman

: PS: I am trying to find a decent card that does 24 bpp at 1024x768
: that runs with XFREE 3.1 and higher. Recommendations?
: --

: ---==---
: --==----        LINUX - "The choice of the GNU generation"
: -======-      <A HREF="http://www.linux.org/linux//linux.html">
I think I read that the "trio" has the RAMDAC, Clockchip, and accelerator
all built into the same chip, reducing the cost of manufacture
(and making it easier to set up, just say "trio" and X knows what
clockchip, ramdac).

The difference between the VRAM and DRAM boards in terms of performance
is very slight for relatively low dot-clocks (and low bpp).  Since the
DRAM is not dual-ported, at higher dot clocks the RAMDAC is hogging
memory access.  At ~35 MHz, 8bpp, the difference in performance is
40kxstones, whereas closer to 100MHz, the difference is 90kxstones.
For 8bpp, 70-85MHz dot clock, I would go with the trio.  For 24bpp,
at 1024by768, I'm not sure anyone makes (or can make) a trio card
with the 4MB of DRAM necessary to do this.  And the RAMDAC would be
using 210+MHz of bandwidth of the card's memory bus.

I think if you regularly use 24bpp, it may be worthwhile to get the
VRAM version, with 4MB.  I like 8bpp just fine, so I'll probably
get the DRAM version when I get a system.  At work (work is the stuff
in virtual window one) we have a 964 which we will soon be using to
drive a 135MHz bandwidth monitor, but at only 8bpp.  So far I haven't
heard of anyone doing this at 24bpp with an S3 card.  Maybe the
Imagine 128 can do it.

I read somewhere that someone has developed a 192 bit graphics
accelerator that has 3 S3 864 chips, each controlling 2MB DRAM,
one S3 each for Red, Green, and Blue.  That will make for fast
24bpp X.

--
Jason D. McNeill
MS 293, Dept. Chem.

Post by John Garne » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 09:52:39

|: I saw something interesting and I wanted some verification as to
|: whether or not this is true. In the February issue of Computer
|: Shopper, the Stealth 64 VRAM is said to use the the S3 Vision 964
|: whereas the DRAM version is said to use the S3 Trio. Is this true, and
|: if so, what is the performance difference between the two chipsets,
|: ignoring the differences in RAM.
|
|I bought a Stealth 64 VRAM 2Meg, and it ran flawlessly under XFree386 3.1.
|I used in 16 bit color mode at 1152x900. A dream. Fast, and colorful.
|However, the board was a bit pricey (with tax, $400), so I decided
|to return it and take a chance with the 2Meg DRAM board, knowing that
|the newer Trio 764 was supported under 3.1.1.

$400 is too much for the Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM 2MB.  "Insight Direct"
has it for $289 in the February 1995 Computer Shopper.  A few local
vendors in the LA area have the OEM version of this card for around $259.
(The OEM version is the same except for packaging and possibly warranty).

-John
--

               World Wide Web: http://www.compbio.caltech.edu/~garnett
"If private encryption is outlawed, then only criminals will have access to

Post by Dave Ho » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 04:15:00

>   $400 is too much for the Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM 2MB.  "Insight Direct"
>   has it for $289 in the February 1995 Computer Shopper.  A few local
>   vendors in the LA area have the OEM version of this card for around $259.
>   (The OEM version is the same except for packaging and possibly warranty).

Actually, there is a significant bit of difference.  The
"retail-packaged version" contains CorelDRAW 3.0 and Flight Sim
Toolkit.  You can check out the details in a press announcement on
http://www.diamondmm.com .  Their server isn't answering at the
moment, so I can't post the complete URL.

P.S. I also heard a rumor that the "Stealth 64 Video" will be out next
month.  It supposed to be priced the same as the Stealth 64 VRAM and
include HW for MPEG playback.  I don't know how compatible it will be
with X, though.

Stealth 64 DRAM vs VRAM Chipset

Post by M.P. Kir » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 11:25:11

I believe I found a bug in the Mach32 X Server for 3.1.1.
I'm using the 3.1 Mach32 server fine when 3.1.1 comes out.

So I give it a try.  I have some keys on the keypad define
in my .XDefaults for xterm to scroll the window and such.
I just have to turn on the numlock to activate them.
However, simply changing the server makes those keys
non-functional regardless if the numlock is on.  Everything
else seems to be fine, though.

Thanks!

Jeff

1. Stealth 64 VRAM vs DRAM

What are the differences between the Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM graphics card
andt he Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM card (Apart from the fact that one uses
DRAM and one uses VRAM)?

I suppose the VRAM version is faster, correct?

More importantly what effects do they have on XF86 3.1 under linux (1.1.54)?
And does anybody out there have a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM with
X running successfully (Using either the SVGA or S3 server)?

Any info conerning these cards would be appreciated!!!

Post or Email.  Thanks heaps...

Alistair McElligott

2. L000000000000000... Which map file???

3. Hercules Graphite Terminator 64 vs. Stealth 64 VRAM?

4. ppp seems to work, but hangs setting default route.... ideas??

5. Diamond Stealth 64 (DRAM&VRAM) Tips/Observations

6. Server question.

7. Stealth 64 VRAM -vs- ATI ProTurbo -vs- #9 Motion 771

8. semi-newbie partitioning question

9. Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM w/S3 V968 chipset on SCO ODT 3.0

10. Diamond Stealth 64 Vram PCI and S3 chipset

11. CL-GD5434 vs Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM

12. ATI Pro Turbo vs. Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM