Diff between XFree86 and XFree86-4 config files?

Diff between XFree86 and XFree86-4 config files?

Post by Sky Lemo » Mon, 21 May 2001 11:03:07



What are the difference between these two files? I need to modify my
XFree86 config file, and would like to know
if I also need, or should edit instead, the XFree86-4 file.

Thanks,

-Chris

 
 
 

Diff between XFree86 and XFree86-4 config files?

Post by Steve Marti » Mon, 21 May 2001 07:11:43



> What are the difference between these two files? I need to modify my
> XFree86 config file, and would like to know
> if I also need, or should edit instead, the XFree86-4 file.

If you're asking if there is a difference between the files
XF86Config and XF86Config-4, then the answer is "no difference".
Either file will work with XFree86 4.0 and later. However,
when searching for its config file, the 4.0-and-later X server
will look for XF86Config-4 in each search directory before it looks for
XF86Config (per the XF86Config man page). This allows you to leave
your existing XF86Config file alone and generate a completely new
config file when upgrading from pre-4.0 versions to 4.0 or later.
Other than the order in which they are searched on startup, there
is no difference between the two.

If the question is regarding the difference in the config file
*contents* between the pre-4.0 XFree86 config file and the
4.0-and-later file, then yes, there are some differences.
See the 4.0-and-later man page for XF86Config for details.

 
 
 

Diff between XFree86 and XFree86-4 config files?

Post by Sky Lemo » Mon, 21 May 2001 11:49:10




> > What are the difference between these two files? I need to modify my
> > XFree86 config file, and would like to know
> > if I also need, or should edit instead, the XFree86-4 file.

> If you're asking if there is a difference between the files
> XF86Config and XF86Config-4, then the answer is "no difference".
> Either file will work with XFree86 4.0 and later. However,
> when searching for its config file, the 4.0-and-later X server
> will look for XF86Config-4 in each search directory before it looks for
> XF86Config (per the XF86Config man page). This allows you to leave
> your existing XF86Config file alone and generate a completely new
> config file when upgrading from pre-4.0 versions to 4.0 or later.
> Other than the order in which they are searched on startup, there
> is no difference between the two.

> If the question is regarding the difference in the config file
> *contents* between the pre-4.0 XFree86 config file and the
> 4.0-and-later file, then yes, there are some differences.
> See the 4.0-and-later man page for XF86Config for details.

Thanks a lot! ;-) So, the XF86Config file isn't even read if XF86Config-4
exists
in the search path? My XF86Config-4 file is much smaller than my
XF86Config
file. BTW, I'm reading that man page now.

Thanks,

-Chris

 
 
 

Diff between XFree86 and XFree86-4 config files?

Post by Wayne Osbor » Mon, 21 May 2001 13:58:00





>> What are the difference between these two files? I need to modify my
>> XFree86 config file, and would like to know if I also need, or should
>> edit instead, the XFree86-4 file.

> If you're asking if there is a difference between the files XF86Config
> and XF86Config-4, then the answer is "no difference". Either file will
> work with XFree86 4.0 and later. However, when searching for its config
> file, the 4.0-and-later X server will look for XF86Config-4 in each
> search directory before it looks for XF86Config (per the XF86Config man
> page). This allows you to leave your existing XF86Config file alone and
> generate a completely new config file when upgrading from pre-4.0
> versions to 4.0 or later. Other than the order in which they are
> searched on startup, there is no difference between the two.

> If the question is regarding the difference in the config file
> *contents* between the pre-4.0 XFree86 config file and the 4.0-and-later
> file, then yes, there are some differences. See the 4.0-and-later man
> page for XF86Config for details.

XF86Config-4 does not require modline's as the server has them
internally.

If XF86Config-4 exists, editing XF86Config will be futile!

--
  Wayne A. Osborn, SCADA Engineer.[dnar AT iinet DOT net DOT au]
  Registered Linux User #212818.  [2.2.16-22-Win4Lin-686] [i686]
 12:50pm  up 1 day, 10:11,  3 users,  load average: 3.02, 3.13, 3.09
  ...Not only is UNIX dead, it's starting to smell really bad.
                -- Rob Pike

 
 
 

Diff between XFree86 and XFree86-4 config files?

Post by Steve Marti » Mon, 21 May 2001 16:32:42



> Thanks a lot! ;-) So, the XF86Config file isn't even read if XF86Config-4
> exists
> in the search path? My XF86Config-4 file is much smaller than my
> XF86Config
> file. BTW, I'm reading that man page now.

From the man page:

       XFree86  uses  a configuration file called XF86Config for its
initial setup.  This configura-
       tion file is searched for in the following places when the
server  is  started  as  a  normal
       user:

           /etc/X11/<cmdline>
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/<cmdline>
           /etc/X11/$XF86CONFIG
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/$XF86CONFIG
           /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
           /etc/X11/XF86Config
           /etc/XF86Config
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/XF86Config.<hostname>
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/XF86Config
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.<hostname>
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config-4
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config

Note that, in each search directory where both XF86Config and
XF86Config-4 exist,
XF86Config-4 is listed *ahead of* XF86Config. The server will look for
its
configuration file in this order and, if it finds it, will not search
further.
This means that the XF86Config-4 file takes precedence over an
XF86Config
file in the same directory.

Hope this helps.

 
 
 

Diff between XFree86 and XFree86-4 config files?

Post by Steve Marti » Mon, 21 May 2001 22:24:13



> >If XF86Config-4 exists, editing XF86Config will be futile!

> It does exist on my mostly rh7.0 system, and I just fixed a mouse
> pointer that was being corrupted by the underlying windows scrolling by
> changing a line if *XF86Config*.

Where is your XF86Config file located? If it's in the /etc directory,
and the XF86Config-4 file isn't in one of the locations that's searched
before /etc, then it'll go with the XF86Config file. Check the man
page for more info.

Check the file /var/log/XFree86.0.log for a line that starts with
"Using config file:" -- this will tell you for sure which one
is being used on X startup.