Post by Hans Posthumu » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 00:43:09

I got an old Compaq 460 monitor (CGA) and would like to use it with an
CL5424 VGA card to enable a low-end ;-) X-Window system on my 486DX2.

If possible, what X-Server and further configuration setting should
work?

Thanks

Hans

Post by lobotom » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 03:00:35

No.  The CGA/EGA/MDA interface is completely different from VGA.  VGA is
an analog signal, whereas CGA is actually digital.  While VGA cards can
emulate CGA/EGA modes on a VGA monitor, I don't know of any that can
actually output to older CGA or EGA monitors.  You might be able to track
down a CGA card somewhere and use it...I don't know if it would be much
good for anything other than text mode, I know there are X servers for
mono and EGA, don't know about CGA.

--
PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =