X server on Sampo Laptop

Post by Ja » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 09:52:12

Hi,
I have recently installed RedHat 7.3 on a Sampo Laptop.
I used Xconfigurator and I managed to get the X window system to work
but with major problems

The Laptop specs from the
manufacturer(http://www.trigem.com/trigem/front/2002/pro_view.asp?seq=3&seq_p=28&p...)

VIDEO Intel? DVMT 48MB Max ,3D,Dual Monitor
LCD 13.3" XGA(1024X768X16.7M Colors)

In windows 2000, the graphic card appears as:
intel 830M graphics Controller-0

When I run Xconfigurator, the PCI Probe detects the following:
PCI Entry: Intel Corp. |82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics
Xserver: none
Xfree4 driver: i810

Because the monitor is not listed there,I ended up choosing Custom
monitor and I can only get away with:

Problems:
1) The size of the screen displayed is smaller than the size of the
actual laptop screen(The same thing happened with windows but after
installing the windows driver it was fixed)

2)If I use Ctrl+Alt+Fn , and decide to go back by Ctrl+Alt+F7, the
laptop hangs completly. Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace will not work nor can I use
Ctrl+Alt+Fn.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Jad