cannot find default fonts! please help

Post by Job Mill » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:46:47

red hat 7.2

everything was fine until one reboot.

screen flicked back and forth and eventually ended on text login.

after running xconfigurator it was still unable to start x server.

I am very much a linux/xwindows newbie.  After looking at the XF86
config file there was a section in there that looked like:

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated
together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent
of
# the X server to render fonts.

    FontPath   "unix/:7100"

EndSection

the unix/:7100 was the place it was looking for the fonts in the
server crash screen dumps.

I manually typed xfs& and then startx, that is how I got back in.
(lucky guess) and I still don't know if that was the correct thing to
do.

I just want GNOME to work on the reboot which I doubt it will.

What happened? should I remove this section of the config?

Why is it looking in this place when it most likely was never before?

the books/documentation I have looked at so far isn't much help.

I will gladly supply some more log info, screen dump info if you can
tell me what would be of use to debug the problem.

TIA,

cannot find default fonts! please help

Post by Hal Burgis » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:04:10

Quote:> # the X server to render fonts.

>     FontPath   "unix/:7100"

This is normal and correct.

Quote:> I manually typed xfs& and then startx, that is how I got back in.
> (lucky guess) and I still don't know if that was the correct thing to
> do.

Were you starting xfs as root? Important clue, if so. Run 'df'. That
would answer the most likely cause.

--
Hal Burgiss

Post by Job Mill » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:31:40

> > # the X server to render fonts.

> >     FontPath   "unix/:7100"

> This is normal and correct.

> > I manually typed xfs& and then startx, that is how I got back in.
> > (lucky guess) and I still don't know if that was the correct thing to
> > do.

> Were you starting xfs as root? Important clue, if so. Run 'df'. That
> would answer the most likely cause.

shouldn't xfs run during startup somewhere?  It use to work.

/dev/hdb5 is full and mounted at /. (maybe the problem)

got plenty of free space elsewhere.  I know this is off topic for this
group, but can you make a recommendation for me.

Can I move the data from /dev/hbd5 to another partition and then
remount that back on / ?

is that the correct solution?  or since it is the root mounting is
there anything special otherwise I have to do.

Job

/dev/hdb5               381139    381118         0 100% /
/dev/hdb1                46636      5959     38269  14% /boot
/dev/hdb3              3257332     62316   3029548   3% /home
none                    320892         0    320892   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb2              8934132   1632664   6847632  20% /usr
/dev/hdb6               256667     60796    182619  25% /var
/dev/hda2             25268760   3252064  20733104  14% /storage

cannot find default fonts! please help

Post by ne.. » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:39:59

[...]

Quote:>> Were you starting xfs as root? Important clue, if so. Run 'df'. That
>> would answer the most likely cause.

> shouldn't xfs run during startup somewhere?  It use to work.

> /dev/hdb5 is full and mounted at /. (maybe the problem)

95% certainty it is the problem.

Quote:> got plenty of free space elsewhere.  I know this is off topic for this
> group, but can you make a recommendation for me.

> Can I move the data from /dev/hbd5 to another partition and then
> remount that back on / ?

Not really off topic since it would solve your
problem. I would try deleting stuff from /tmp.
If you get back enuf space, then you are good
to go and do not need to move stuff around.
If you also download stuff to /tmp and compile
there, I would switch to using /home instead.

Quote:> is that the correct solution?  or since it is the root mounting is
> there anything special otherwise I have to do.

It is one way to go.

Quote:

> /dev/hdb5               381139    381118         0 100% /

[...]

Certified: 40% bastard, 22% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest

Post by David W. Studema » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 05:36:02

>> # the X server to render fonts.

>>     FontPath   "unix/:7100"

> This is normal and correct.

>> I manually typed xfs& and then startx, that is how I got back in.
>> (lucky guess) and I still don't know if that was the correct thing to
>> do.

> Were you starting xfs as root? Important clue, if so. Run 'df'. That
> would answer the most likely cause.

 You're better off not using XFS as it tends to cause a good many problems
and SuSE disables it by default for stability reasons, do other distros? To
do it, Blow the "unix/:7100" off the config file and add all the font paths
themselves instead. You do NOT need Xfs even though many think it is
mandatory to display fonts. Freetype actually runs on the backend of the X
server itself and True Type font support is native to Xfree86-4.x. I
remember how many times when I used another distro, that I would get an X
crash and couldn't restart because of Xfs and could not kill Xfs with any
command. Ironically, it was the Xfs that usually caused the crash in the
first place. I can't even rember if I've ever had an X crash, or worse yet,
System lockup since eliminating Xfs. What I do not know, is if you need Xfs
to connect to your machine remotely. I use terminal and web apps to make
adjustments to my server so I wouldn't know as that also has Xfs disabled
and I don't connect with X. Just say no to Xfs!

 To add the paths in the Xf86config use this example:
FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype"  The end result is worth it.

                                 Dave

cannot find default fonts! please help

Post by Hal Burgis » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:52:03

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:36:02 -0800, David W. Studeman

>  You're better off not using XFS as it tends to cause a good many problems
> and SuSE disables it by default for stability reasons, do other distros? To

No, and most don't have problems with it. So don't assume because you
do, that most others do.

Quote:> System lockup since eliminating Xfs. What I do not know, is if you need Xfs
> to connect to your machine remotely.

Yow...no you don't. You only *need* xfs for serving fonts, as in over a
network. How is it you seem to more on this subject than the people that
package the distributions?

--
Hal Burgiss

1. HELP!! -- Cannot find default font 'fixed'

Fonts reside under /usr/lib/X11/fonts (which is a link to /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts
I believe).  Under here you should have three or more directories, misc, 75dpi
and 100dpi (depending on the fonts which you installed).  If you don't have
these (esp. misc and 75dpi which are really the minimum) then go back and
get them (they're on the X installation disks).  In each directory you could
try running mkfontdir - this sets up the directory for use by X. This should
be done by the installation but may not be.  Next, check your XF86Config
file in /usr/lib/X11.  This should have some lines talking about fontpaths.
Make sure that these are not commented out and point to the correct
directories, ie a list of three or so.

Charlie

BTW: Dunno what you did with the fonts.alias file but you may want to change
it back once misc starts working.

2. interrupt controler question

3. Cannot find fonts in XFree86 - Please help!!

4. Making ports available?

5. cannot find default fixed font????

6. how can i create a ISO bootable for sparc64?

7. Can't find "default" font when starting startx...help!

8. PPP keeps disconnecting after a few seconds!

9. Default font setup in linux - Please Help me ! -

10. XF86 Server error: could not open default cursor font 'cursor' PLEASE HELP!

11. HELP! cannot find font fixed

12. Help please: Printing font under netscape cannot be adjusted

13. KDE cannot find libqti18n.so.3, Please Help