Netscape command

Post by Jimmy Navarr » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

What is the command again to suppress the 'Help' to display as soon as
opening the Netscape Communicator?

--
P.S.:  Watch out my anti-spam address.  To reply me direct, remove extra.

Netscape command

Post by Jimmy Navarr » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

> What is the command again to suppress the 'Help' to display as soon as
> opening the Netscape Communicator?Hmmm, I tried "netscape --help" and gave
> the command arguments.  Disregard but I have a better question...!

I'm using WindowMaker-0.21.0 that was packaged with Red Hat 5.2.  How can I
change the command used to launch the Netscape from WindowMaker pull-down
menu to do:  netscape -no-about-splash   ???  Is there script or overlay
file WindowMaker is reading at ?  Thanks...  (-:

Post by DonJ » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

> > What is the command again to suppress the 'Help' to display as soon as
> > opening the Netscape Communicator?Hmmm, I tried "netscape --help" and gave
> > the command arguments.  Disregard but I have a better question...!

> I'm using WindowMaker-0.21.0 that was packaged with Red Hat 5.2.  How can I
> change the command used to launch the Netscape from WindowMaker pull-down
> menu to do:  netscape -no-about-splash   ???  Is there script or overlay
> file WindowMaker is reading at ?  Thanks...  (-:

> --P.S.:  Watch out my anti-spam address.  To reply me direct, remove extra.

Here is how I fixed it:
  in the file /usr/bin/netscape

    if [ -z "$*" ]; then
        HOMEPAGE=/usr/doc/HTML/index.html
        if [ -f $HOME/.netscape/preferences.js ]; then
            if grep "browser.startup.homepage" \
                $HOME/.netscape/preferences.js > /dev/null; then
            # HOMEPAGE=""
            # I replaced the above line with :

HOMEPAGE="`grep "browser.startup.homepage"
$HOME/.netscape/preferences.js | awk -F '"' '{print $4;}'`"

            #  The above is one long line
            fi
        fi
        exec $I/lib/netscape/$which $HOMEPAGE
    else
        exec $I/lib/netscape/$which $*
    fi

Now I get my HomePage whenever I startup netscape with no command line.

And you thought 'netscape' was the name of a binary somewhere on your
system.

--
 -----------------------
  Don E. Groves, Jr.

  I'll add a witty saying here later.

----------------

1. bash: netscape: command not found

 Don't take this as an insult...but you need to get a good
intro book on UNIX and spend an hour or two going thru it..
 Unlike DOS, most UNICes shell takes a command from you and
looks only in the executable path you set in your shell
profile...in your case, prolly /etc/profile   If you type a
command like 'netscape' it's going to look for an executable
called 'netscape' somewhere on the system, but only in the
path given in /etc/profile ...it won't look in the current
directory by default..even if you're sitting in that
directory...
   There are two things you can do..the amateur way is..
    Instead of just typing 'executable-name' when you're in
that directory, type './executable-name' , and the shell
will then search the current directory for the name of the
execuatble...I do this sometimes to test out a program..if I
like it, I move onto the next way.....>
    Another way: once you obtain a binary executable, copy
or move it to the typcal UNIX locations for
executables.../usr/local/bin .../usr/sbin  /bin ....and then
just type 'netscape' from anywhere! and it will run like
hell.
-t-

2. PPP question

3. Netscape command not found.

4. Error messages

5. Netscape command-line options

6. How can I disable MD5 and shadow password?

7. netscape command not found

8. Printer gone w/IOmega Zip Drive

9. Netscape command line in UNIX

10. Netscape....command not found ?

11. Netscape - command not found problem!

12. Netscape Ldap, Netscape Calendar, how do you add users from command line?

13. diff among echo a>f; command<f; echo $a|command; command << $a; EOF