Starting X-Windows with 32-bpp

Post by Richard Balfou » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello there,

I have Red Hat 5.2 installed on my system.
I can get X-Windows to run in 32-bpp by  creating the following alias in

/etc/bashrc:

alias win="startx -- -bpp 32"

The problem is when I want to start Linux in runmode 5. It defaults to
an 8-bpp display.
How do I configure Linux to always start X-Windows in 32-bit color?

My graphics card is a Matrox Mystique 220 with 4MB.

Thanks,
Richard

Post by Adrian Hand » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> The problem is when I want to start Linux in runmode 5. It defaults to
> an 8-bpp display.
> How do I configure Linux to always start X-Windows in 32-bit color?

Check your /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "Screen"
    DefaultColorDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8

Starting X-Windows with 32-bpp

Post by Laurent Bach » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00

In fact, startx is just a script doing initialisations for xinit. The last
line of startx is something like this (if I remember) :

xinit $(CLIENTOPT) -- $(SERVEROPT)

So, just change it in

xinit $(CLIENTOPT) -- -bpp 32 $(SERVEROPT)
(I do that thing, and it works fine).

Laurent Bacha

Richard Balfour a crit :

Quote:> Hello there,

> I have Red Hat 5.2 installed on my system.
> I can get X-Windows to run in 32-bpp by  creating the following alias in

> /etc/bashrc:

> alias win="startx -- -bpp 32"

> The problem is when I want to start Linux in runmode 5. It defaults to
> an 8-bpp display.
> How do I configure Linux to always start X-Windows in 32-bit color?

> My graphics card is a Matrox Mystique 220 with 4MB.

> Thanks,
> Richard

1. Starting X-Windows in 16, 24 or 32 bpp

Run Xconfigurator. At the point where it ask you to choose the
resolutions you want, choose ONLY the highest one that you need. I
think the next time you start Lin in runlevel 5, things should work
out.

That is only a quick remedy. The better alternative is to edit your
XF86Config file. Remove those settings you do not need. If I recall
correctly, the order of the settings also matter. You have to study
the documentation first though.

I only require one resolution. So I used the first method.

Hope that helps.

2. 5.0.4 DNS setup

3. X Windows: 8 bpp to 32 bpp Problem

4. Bug in Solaris AF_UNIX sockets??

5. How to use -bpp 16 -bpp 24 -bpp 32 when using XDM?

6. ssh and firewalls

7. Need to load Microsft windows before loading X-Windows (Diamond Stealth 32 card)

8. Select() Please Help

9. X stubbornly insists on 8 bpp depth; startx -- -bpp 32 doesn't help

10. 24 bpp vs 32 bpp

11. Millenium II (PCI) OK @ 8,16,32 bpp, *not* OK @ 24 bpp ?

12. Difference between 8bpp | 16 bpp | 32 bpp?

13. 24 bpp or 32 bpp on Diamond 3d 3400