Font problems with Netscape/XFree 3.1

Post by Graeme Hieber » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 02:43:16

I've been reading people's problems with XFree86 and Netscape for some
time now, but have not seen anyone mention the problem that's been
plaguing me.

It seems that Netscape (1.0N) has a habit of messing up fonts.  When
I run netscape, certain typefaces (usually bold or italic) eventually
get thrashed, where every second (horizontal) line or so becomes blank,
making it impossible to read.  If I start another application while
Netscape is running, it inherits the thrashed font.  I have never
seen the phenomenon occur when Netscape is not running.

I tried playing with the order of fonts in my XF86Config file, and
found I can reduce the effects if I put the Type 1 fonts before the
100dpi and 75dpi fonts.  However, Netscape then selects really tiny
fonts for some typefaces, and the problem does eventually appear (though
not as quickly).

I find this problem kind of puzzling.  Not only does it not seem to
attack other users, but Netscape seems to be the culprit.  I don't
understand how one program can cause damage to fonts in the X server,
when other programs do not.  It's almost as if there is a bug in the
X server that only Netscape seems to trigger.

Is this a known problem, and is there a patch somewhere to fix it?

In case it matters, I'm running the Mach32 X server from XFree86 3.1
and kernel 1.1.83 (though I've also seen the problem with kernel 1.1.18,
1.1.59, and 1.1.7?).

   -g

1. Linux/XFree 3.1/Netscape paste problem?

  My system is Slackware pro 2.1 w/ XFree 3.1 on ATI GUP 2MB
  I use Logi Mouseman serial mouse. (3 button)
  Whenever I try to paste an url (from tin in an xterm) to
  Netscape Open Location, Netscape crashes.  Anyone else
  have this problem or know of a fix?
=================

2. 3.0-stable to ?-current

3. Orchid Kelvin 64, ASUS MB, XFree 3.1... trashed fonts WHY??

4. Linux PPP server, Win95 Client?

5. Linux XFree 3.1 Geometry/Fonts - Please Help ME!

6. SCSI Tape -- what /dev/?

7. XFree 3.1 vga16 bombs using netscape

8. HELP - Increase TCP packet

9. Netscape and XFree 3.1

10. netscape under XFree 3.1.2E: libXpm.so.4 => not found

11. XFree 3.1 + vi + xterm problems

12. X11R6/XFree 3.1 shared library problems (Linux)

13. problem with Xfree 3.1 on Solaris 2.4 on x86