XFree4: Making Multi-head Work WITHOUT Xinerama

XFree4: Making Multi-head Work WITHOUT Xinerama

Post by RKT Technologies, In » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Since so far I've been unsuccessful in getting XFree4.0 multi-head to
work properly using Xinerama (mouse disappears in 2nd screen, 2nd
screen won't work above 1280.1024, 2nd screen won't work in
accelerated mode ... see thread "XF86 4.0 Multi Head Problems" posted
over the last couple of days...), I thought I'd try shutting Xinerama
off and seeing if I could get it to work that way.

So far, no joy.

The #2 screen just shows me a gray background, no "wallpaper" (I have
wallpaper enabled), and no way to access anything on that screen.

How does multi-head operate if Xinerama is turned off?  Are you
supposed to be able to put desktop #1 on one monitor and desktop #2 on
the other, stuff like that?

I have been through every bit of XF4 documentation I can find and have
spent all of yesterday and most of this morning on Dejanews and so
far, cannot find ANY discussion at all of how to run multi-head with
Xinerama turned off (and as I indicated in the above-referenced post,
Xinerama turned on seems to work but with all the problems listed in
that post).

Any suggestions?

Quote:>-----------------------------------------------------------------<

Eric Poole                 Specializing in Software Development for
RKT Technologies, Inc.       Medical Devices / Regulated Industries
PO Box 1100                ISO 9001 / FDA Quality System Regulation
Londonderry, NH 03053
Phone:   603-437-1811      Fax:    603-425-6475
Quote:>-----------------------------------------------------------------<

                      reply by e-mail; use epoole-at-netis-dot-com)
Quote:>-----------------------------------------------------------------<

  Qualifications and Background: see http://www.netis.com/rkt
Quote:>-----------------------------------------------------------------<

XFree4: Making Multi-head Work WITHOUT Xinerama

Post by Matthew Clark » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Since so far I've been unsuccessful in getting XFree4.0 multi-head to
>work properly using Xinerama (mouse disappears in 2nd screen, 2nd
>screen won't work above 1280.1024, 2nd screen won't work in
>accelerated mode ... see thread "XF86 4.0 Multi Head Problems" posted
>over the last couple of days...), I thought I'd try shutting Xinerama
>off and seeing if I could get it to work that way.
>So far, no joy.
>The #2 screen just shows me a gray background, no "wallpaper" (I have
>wallpaper enabled), and no way to access anything on that screen.
>How does multi-head operate if Xinerama is turned off?  Are you
>supposed to be able to put desktop #1 on one monitor and desktop #2 on
>the other, stuff like that?
>I have been through every bit of XF4 documentation I can find and have
>spent all of yesterday and most of this morning on Dejanews and so
>far, cannot find ANY discussion at all of how to run multi-head with
>Xinerama turned off (and as I indicated in the above-referenced post,
>Xinerama turned on seems to work but with all the problems listed in
>that post).
>Any suggestions?

Working here.  XFree86 3.9.18, 1 Matrox Millennium II and 1 Guillemot Maxi
Gamer Phoenix (Voodoo Banshee).  I don't remember having to dig a lot
into the documentation.  It didn't work in 3.9.17; the server segfaulted
reading my XF86Config file, but 3.9.18 got rid of that problem.  The
key appears to be the Screen lines in the ServerLayout section of the
configuration file.  From my XF86Config:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "MainLayout"
        Screen          "TDFX_Mitsubishi"
        Screen          "MGA_Daytek" RightOf "TDFX_Mitsubishi"
        InputDevice     "AST_Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice     "TrackManMarble" "CorePointer"
#       Option          "Xinerama"
EndSection

Once I was able to put the "RightOf" qualifier in there without getting a
segmentation fault, the mouse moved freely between screens.

This configuration gives two screens on the same display.  In my case, the
left is :0.0, and the right is :0.1.  I use fvwm, which auto-detects the
multiple-screen configuration and spawns a second copy of itself to manage
the second screen.  Other window managers may vary.  I also modified my
.xsession this way (I use xdm):

        if xset -display "$DISPLAY.1" q >/dev/null 2>&1
        then
                xearth -display "$DISPLAY.1" -fork
        fi

This happens before I start the window manager, so, at this point, DISPLAY
is ":0", not ":0.1".  By running this, I have xearth automatically started
in the root window of the right hand screen, and my wallpaper file shown
in the root window of the left hand screen (by an earlier command in my
.xsession script.)

Matt.
--

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave
in a vacuum."                      -- Arthur C. Clarke

1. 1)multi-head g400 2)different sized monitors and xinerama

Hi, I have two questions.
1)  I have a dual head matrox g400.  I've been poking around the web,
trying to find info on getting x to work with both of those heads.  I'm
running x 4.0.3, and the release notes mention that there are some dual
headed cards that work, but don't mention which.  any chance it's my
matrox, and if so, can anyone point me to a config to get it to work?

2)  Since I couldn't get the second head on my primary card to work, I
threw in a cheapo ati card.  I got this card to work, but the monitor
plugged into it is smaller than my primary (21" on primary, 17" on
secondary).  using xinerama, I was able to get the sawfish to use
the other monitor, but I was wondering if there was a way to get
x/sawfish to recognize that the other monitor is a lot smaller, and not
to draw the menu bars 3" below the bottom of the screen.  is this
possible?  is this an X thing or a sawfish thing?

thanks much.  let me know ifyou need more info.

-Peter

2. input-line-length too short

3. Multi-head query (Multi-Monitors, Multi-Cards)

4. Orchid Ferenheit 1280

5. multi headed system -xinerama

6. Wireless standardization ever going to happen?

7. multi-user: multi-head (monitor), keyboard, mouse, setup?

8. Compiler question: -blibpath flag usage

9. multi-user: multi-head (monitor), USB keyboards and mice?

10. Almost have XFree86-4.0 working dual head and in xinerama, but need some help

11. More Xinerama woes: Making 2 Voodoo3s work?

12. Multi-head setups and X

13. Multi-Head