Am I better off switching to another video card--is the agp bus the problem

Am I better off switching to another video card--is the agp bus the problem

Post by Barney Tom » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:25:33

Xconfigurator doesn't configure my video card (ati xpert 98 agp) and monitor
(viewsonic e70f) properly.  Entries for these are listed in the menu, but it
won't build the configuration file properly and therefore startx aborts even
before displaying anything.  I'm wondering if the agp bus is the problem.
Should I purchase a different video card.  And does it have to be pci.

Am I better off switching to another video card--is the agp bus the problem

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:49:25

Had similar problems.
What was causing it was conflict between the AGP video and adjacent PCI socket
holding the SCSI adaptor.
Things became normal when the SCSI was transferred to another socket and
replaced by the sound card.
(The modern mobos are skimpy on sockets so conflicts arise)

HTH

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla

> Xconfigurator doesn't configure my video card (ati xpert 98 agp) and monitor
> (viewsonic e70f) properly.  Entries for these are listed in the menu, but it
> won't build the configuration file properly and therefore startx aborts even
> before displaying anything.  I'm wondering if the agp bus is the problem.
> Should I purchase a different video card.  And does it have to be pci.

Am I better off switching to another video card--is the agp bus the problem

Post by Edward Roste » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 04:18:28

Quote:> Xconfigurator doesn't configure my video card (ati xpert 98 agp) and
> monitor
> (viewsonic e70f) properly.  Entries for these are listed in the menu,
> but
> it won't build the configuration file properly and therefore startx
> aborts even before displaying anything.  I'm wondering if the agp bus is
> the problem. Should I purchase a different video card.  And does it have
> to be pci.

I doubt that the AGP bus i the problem. What sort of errors do you get
when Xconfigurator fails to build the file?

You might als try XF86Config. It is rather harier, but it does the job
reliably.

If that fails, then you could try making a file for a different card and
editing it to work with the Xpert 98 (don't forget to set the X server to
the correct one with the symling /etc/X11/X).

-Ed