How to set color depth in X...?

Post by Paul Mourits » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi All,

I would like to set my color depth to 16 bit from 8 bit. I tried editing the
XF86Config file but either did it incorrectly or in the wrong place. Yes I did
try and read for the answer first... Did not see it.... Really  :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Best.

Paul

        If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

How to set color depth in X...?

Post by Michael Ern » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Hi All,

: I would like to set my color depth to 16 bit from 8 bit. I tried editing the
: XF86Config file but either did it incorrectly or in the wrong place. Yes I did
: try and read for the answer first... Did not see it.... Really  :-)

: Any help would be appreciated.

: Best.

This is an option when starting the X-Server; try "startx -- -bpp 16",
the double dashes mean that the following options are passed to "X"
(your server binary).

Maybe you can incorporate this into your startup scripts for X-Windows,
to change the color depth permanently.

Hope this helps,

Michael

How to set color depth in X...?

Post by Darcy B. Hag » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to set my color depth to 16 bit from 8 bit. I tried editing the
>XF86Config file but either did it incorrectly or in the wrong place. Yes I
did
>try and read for the answer first... Did not see it.... Really  :-)

>Any help would be appreciated.

Edit your startx script. In there you'll find a place for command-line
options. Add -16bpp to it.

I was gung-ho to use 16-bpp until I actually got it working and suddenly
found a bunch of X-applications that now refuse to run:
 - xearth
 - xfractint
 - mpegplay
 - IBM Data Explorer

16bpp color mode looks great, but all that incompatibility is very
disheartening. Of course, YMMV.

Good luck.
|Darcy B. Hager                     |Chemistry, University of Alberta       |

How to set color depth in X...?

Post by James DeWi » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:: writes:

: :>I would like to set my color depth to 16 bit from 8 bit. I tried editing the
: :>XF86Config file but either did it incorrectly or in the wrong place. Yes I did
: :>try and read for the answer first... Did not see it.... Really  :-)
: :>Any help would be appreciated.
: :>
: :>Best.
: :>Paul

:      Sorry Paul I don't have the answer.  I was just about to ask this same
: question when I read your post...and I believe you looked too, I've read
:  ...Thanks for your time,
:  ...Norm

Did you try using the '-bpp' option of startx?
Just type:
    startx -bpp 16
To invoke X with a depth of 16 bits.

Does anyone know if the Weitek P9000 server supports virtual screen size
or resolution switching yet?  Is there something about the card or the
chipset that makes such functions extremely difficult or impossible?
I must say that I am very grateful to the folks who have put this package
together.

Thanks,

James

How to set color depth in X...?

Post by Norman Moo » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

writes:
:>
:>Hi All,
:>
:

     Sorry Paul I don't have the answer.  I was just about to ask this same
question when I read your post...and I believe you looked too, I've read
everything I could get my hands on and if it's in there it's not very clear.

     My config file (don't remember its' exact name right now) has three
lines, one for each clolr depth.  I've got a line for '640x480' thru

screen.

     What I'd like to do is run 'openwin' at '1024x768' w/16bpp and a
virtual screen of '1024x768' but it comes up and seems like I can only
switch between resolutions within the 8bpp color depth.  I would think this
would be an easy thing to do but I've read all the FAQs at 'ftp.x.org' I
could find and the 'HOW-TOs', but I can't find it anywhere.  This (it should
be) simple problem is starting to drive me crazy and I've spent far more time
searching  for a solution than I would have thought...ANY help would REALLY
be appreciated.

 ...Thanks for your time,

 ...Norm

|   Norman Moore                   |   Although I LOVE my Country...  |
|   Rockville, Maryland  USA       |                                  |