Linux for Sparc

Post by Richard J. Bocchinfus » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone out there done a Linux install on a Sparc station?

I would like some details?  Is the CD bootable?  How do you get started?

1. Sparc Linux and sparc clones

This is kind of two questions in one

I've just acquired an un-needed sparc clone from work - it's badged "Solair",
has a label underneath stating that it's made by DTK computers and anounces
itself as a "DTKstation/Classic+". I though that I might have a look at the
sparc port for fun.

So I copied the RedHat 4.0 sparc boot image (the v2 image since the machine
claims a version 2.9 ROM) and booted it up.

The kernel loads, identifies all (I think) of the hardware gets as far as
   "VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)."
and then hangs

So...

Is the problem that it's a clone (looks like a Sun to me,  right down to the
ROM commands but I've not had much experience with clones).

Is the problem that it's a Sun4M (I recall that the sparc version doesn't work
on all of the sparc chips).

Is the problem that this machine is headless - it's connected to a VT220 (well
a Wyse pretending to be a VT220). Is there the equivalent of the serial console
patch for the sparc port and do I need it ?

Is it something else (all suggestions gratefully recieved).

Regards

Paul.

2. OpenBSD / PCMCIA NIC problem

3. linux on G3 vs linux on Sparc

4. EXT2-fs error: Freeing blocks not in datazone (AHA-2940W)

5. Linux on SPARC rules

6. Tekram drivers?

7. NFS Problems with Linux to Sparc

8. ORACLE8 Info

9. Installing RH Linux 5.2/Sparc on Sparcstation2 via my Windows95/98 peer-peer network

10. Linux and Sparc?

11. libc.so.5 for Linux on Sparc

12. Linux for SPARC ?!

13. Linux on SPARC