Openlook apps broken by number-lock!

Post by Andrew Manneri » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I posted a query about a problem I was having with openlook programs
under linux about a month back. Loading any openlook program would take
about 15-20 seconds to load and then give this warning:
        XView warning: Problems setting default modifier mapping (Server
        package)
I have finally traced this problem down to the number-lock key!

I was using setleds to turn the number lock on all terminals on, as
shown in the setleds man page. From experimenting, it seems that pseudo
terminals dont like setleds. Once I'd found this the xview warning had
gone and loading time was back to normal. However, when I set the number
lock on manually in textedit the next keypress terminated the program!
Heres the error message:
X error of failed request: BadValue (integer out of range for operation)
        Major opcode of failed request: 101 (X_GetKeyboardMapping)
        Value in failed request: 0x0
        Serial number of failed request: 254

The same sort of error is true for any xview application, once the
number lock is activated.

Does anyone know what's happening here?

Andrew Mannering

Post by Junichi Kuroka » Tue, 25 Apr 1995 04:00:00

    A> I have finally traced this problem down to the number-lock key!

This has been a FAQ.  Consult the following files, use archie(1) for
locations.

    README.numpad
    xmodmap.num
    xmodmap.servnum

From README.numpad:

--begin--

There is a bug in XFree86 3.1.1's handling of the numerical keypad on
Linux systems.

The workaround is to use one of the xmodmap files provided here to set
the correct mapping.

The file xmodmap.num is used if you don't have "ServerNumLock" set
in your XF86Config, and xmodmap.servnum is used if you do have it set.

Install these files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc.  If you start the
Xserver with startx or xinit, add the following early in your
.xinitrc file:

XMODMAPFILE=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xmodmap.num
#XMODMAPFILE=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xmodmap.servnum # for ServerNumLock
if [ -f $XMODMAPFILE ]; then
  xmodmap $XMODMAPFILE
fi

If you use xdm, add the above to the Xsetup_0 file in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/.

--end--

--
Junichi Kurokawa
Enterprise Networking Development Division

1. OpenLook Apps from Linux "X-terminal"?

I've been trying to run applications on a Sun (SunOS 4.1.x) under
OpenLook from an Linux workstation configured to be an Xterminal.
The application is ESRI's ArcInfo.

Color and eventually all screens are messed up to non-existent.

Is there something I need to do on the Linux side to make it look
somewhat as pretty as it does on the Sun?

Thanks.

Dave Nuttall

San Antonio, TX

2. SuSE Linux Provides Certified Platform for mySAP.com

3. Problem compiling OpenLook app on Solaris - worked fine in SunOS 4.x

4. network panic please help!!!!!!!!!!!! ( newbee )

5. Strange icons in OpenLook apps

6. Yet another on-line OS poll

7. Segmentation fault for some OpenLook apps with XFree86-3.1 ...

8. Help, xterm weirdness after X3.3.3

9. Broken Icons in Xview 3.2 (OpenLook for Linux)

10. Broken icons in OpenLook

11. netscape rpm from compaq + my box = lock lock lock

12. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

13. Modem TX and RX status via Num Lock-Caps Lock-Scroll Lock