X Windows Development Tools - libraries..

X Windows Development Tools - libraries..

Post by Jim Norto » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello all,

I am somewhat confused on which "Widget" set Linux has support for.  I
would
like to write some X-Windows apps and need to buy a book.  I guess I
need to
know what toolkit I should be using for Linux before I look for a book.

I am aware of the following:

XView, Motif, Athena Widgets, OpenLook..  Which libraries, header files
can I get
support for under Linux that will have the best portability to other
platforms?

I currently have Slackware 3.2 installed.  Can somebody tell me what X
developement
libraries and headers I have available to me?

I hope this makes sense...

Thanks,

Jim Norton

1. C++ (Was: Win32 development tools vs UNIX development tools)

: :
: : Personally I believe C++ leaped off the edge, and they should have
: : never added templates, but that is my personal opinion.
:
: I think implicit instantiation of templates was definitely jumping off
: the deep end. Explicit instantiation seems more reasonable and within
: the realm of human capabilities to implement robustly.
:

Can someone explain this to me?  I don't know much about compiler
implementation, and would like to know why templates are so troublesome.
As a developer, I find them very useful.

: Larry Edwards
--
Jerry J. Shekhel

                ,    ,                         ,
"Is maith liom Mi Mheain an tSamhraidh." - M. Ni Chobhthaigh

2. Important: File Transfer from rs6000 through enet

3. libbadpenguin 1.0.2 - generic library and scripts for console tools development

4. napster w/linux

5. libbadpenguin 1.0.1 - generic library and scripts for console tools development

6. collection: converting DOS files to UNIX format

7. Looking for development tools (C compiler & libraries)

8. Setting Serial speed

9. libbadpenguin 1.0.0 - generic library and scripts for console tools development

10. Looking for Solaris based intranet development tool for dynamic database development

11. UNIX/Windows Development Tools

12. Development Tool, Project, CASE Tool

13. New release of XView libraries, OpenLook tools and Window Managers