RealPlayer 8 sound distorts on RH71

Post by Graham Daniel » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 23:19:01

I have RH 7.1 installed on my PC, and have been using it to play MP3's
via xmms or Noatun (the default KDE player).  Sound plays fine from
these
applications.

Today I installed RealPlayer 8 Basic, in order to be able to play
streaming audio.  It installed without any errors, however when I play
the sample sound that comes with it, it comes out incredibly distorted.
It sounds like the digital signal is being badly clipped.

Anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions?

Regards,
Graham Daniell

Post by Enriqu » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:22:31

> I have RH 7.1 installed on my PC, and have been using it to play MP3's
> via xmms or Noatun (the default KDE player).  Sound plays fine from
> these
> applications.

> Today I installed RealPlayer 8 Basic, in order to be able to play
> streaming audio.  It installed without any errors, however when I play
> the sample sound that comes with it, it comes out incredibly distorted.
> It sounds like the digital signal is being badly clipped.

> Anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions?

Had the same problem:
I use esd, so I under Preferences->Performance->Audio Driver Options I
set it ot ESound Support

You can check if esd is running by using: ps -aux | grep esd

This should do it.

--
Mvh. / Kind regards

- If I where God, I would recompile the penguin with --enable-flying.

Post by Graham Daniel » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 07:32:47

> > Today I installed RealPlayer 8 Basic, in order to be able to play
> > streaming audio.  It installed without any errors, however when I play
> > the sample sound that comes with it, it comes out incredibly distorted.
> > It sounds like the digital signal is being badly clipped.

> > Anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions?

> Had the same problem:
> I use esd, so I under Preferences->Performance->Audio Driver Options I
> set it ot ESound Support

> You can check if esd is running by using: ps -aux | grep esd

Enrique,

Thank you for your reply.  I ran the check: ps -aux | grep esd - but no
output (except for "grep esd").  So it seems I an _not_  runnning esd.

Would you suggest that I do run it?   What does it do?  (man esd produces
nothing).

Thanks again,
Graham Daniell

RealPlayer 8 sound distorts on RH71

Post by Enriqu » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:59:04

Yello

> Enrique,

> Thank you for your reply.  I ran the check: ps -aux | grep esd - but no
> output (except for "grep esd").  So it seems I an _not_  runnning esd.

> Would you suggest that I do run it?   What does it do?  (man esd
> produces nothing).

Check if it is installed: rpm -qa | grep -i esound

If not, install it :)

--
Mvh. / Kind regards

- If I where God, I would recompile the penguin with --enable-flying.

1. RealPlayer 8 sound distorts on RH71

I have RH 7.1 installed on my PC, and have been using it to play MP3's
via xmms or Noatun (the default KDE player).  Sound plays fine from
these
applications.

Today I installed RealPlayer 8 Basic, in order to be able to play
streaming audio.  It installed without any errors, however when I play
the sample sound that comes with it, it comes out incredibly distorted.
It sounds like the digital signal is being badly clipped.

Anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions?

Regards,
Graham Daniell

2. Access Control Problems with Cern httpd 3.0

3. My Sounds in Gnome sound terrible and distorted.

4. DEVICE CONTROLLER ??

5. repost: Sound on RH71, and PHP update

6. Time with smbclient/smbmount

7. rh71 sound problems

8. XFree86(Redhat 5.1) on Creative Banshee 16MB AGP card

9. Q about sound in rh71

10. Distorted sound output, what's wrong?

11. Distorted sound where simple sine-wave expected (/dev/dsp)

12. Distorted Sound Recording

13. sound distorted!