XDM Question

XDM Question

Post by Esperand » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00



I'm full of questions tonight ;)

Anyhow, I read in this newsgroup a post about starting your computer right into X.. I
thought that would be neat.  So, I ran xdm to make sure it was working okay... and
when it did, I couldn't exit.  I picked to exit X after I logged in and it took me
back to the xdm prompt.  I hit ctrl-c and it restarted the xdm prompt... I had to
reboot the machine from within X to restart!  I am sure there is an easier way...

L8r
Esperandi

 
 
 

XDM Question

Post by David Nillese » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00



> I'm full of questions tonight ;)

> Anyhow, I read in this newsgroup a post about starting your computer
> right into X.. I
> thought that would be neat.  So, I ran xdm to make sure it was working
> okay... and
> when it did, I couldn't exit.  I picked to exit X after I logged in
> and it took me
> back to the xdm prompt.  I hit ctrl-c and it restarted the xdm
> prompt... I had to
> reboot the machine from within X to restart!  I am sure there is an
> easier way...

> L8r
> Esperandi

   This works for me:

    use <ctrl><alt><f1> to jump back into a console
     become root or go su
     then try eother killing the xdm process or for a marginally more
elegant solution try using
/etc/rc.d/rc3/S99xdm stop    (edit this to suit your system, i think
thats right for redhat)

     hope this helps,
Dave

 
 
 

XDM Question

Post by Peter Rig » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00




Quote:> I'm full of questions tonight ;)

> Anyhow, I read in this newsgroup a post about starting your computer right into X.. I
> thought that would be neat.  So, I ran xdm to make sure it was working okay... and
> when it did, I couldn't exit.  I picked to exit X after I logged in and it took me
> back to the xdm prompt.  I hit ctrl-c and it restarted the xdm prompt... I had to
> reboot the machine from within X to restart!  I am sure there is an easier way...

> L8r
> Esperandi

The normal way to exit xdm (as per default translations in the xdm/Xresources
file) is to press Ctrl-R in response to the xdm login prompt. This kills
xdm and takes you to a standard console login. You can then hit Ctrl-Alt-Del
to reboot.
Regards,
peter.
 
 
 

XDM Question

Post by Esperand » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00


Quote:>    This works for me:

>     use <ctrl><alt><f1> to jump back into a console
>      become root or go su
>      then try eother killing the xdm process or for a marginally more
> elegant solution try using
> /etc/rc.d/rc3/S99xdm stop    (edit this to suit your system, i think
> thats right for redhat)

>      hope this helps,
> Dave

Is there any way at all that I could log in with xdm and simply carry on with my
system as I would as if I had logged in at the text prompt?  I would like to be able
to exit X when I wanted and hop back in as desired, but still log in through a
graphical interface... I am thinking this is probably impossible unless there is some
sort of trick to xdm since I am really in a totally differtent runlevel than the text
interface...

--
L8r
Esperandi
"E Pluribus Unix"
Check out my homepage at http://www.ovis.net/~esperan

 
 
 

XDM Question

Post by Harold Hen » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00


You could try using your virtual terminals.
Try Ctrl Alt F4 or Ctrl Alt F5 for example.



Quote:>>    This works for me:

>>     use <ctrl><alt><f1> to jump back into a console
>>      become root or go su
>>      then try eother killing the xdm process or for a marginally more
>> elegant solution try using
>> /etc/rc.d/rc3/S99xdm stop    (edit this to suit your system, i think
>> thats right for redhat)

>>      hope this helps,
>> Dave

> Is there any way at all that I could log in with xdm and simply carry on with my
> system as I would as if I had logged in at the text prompt?  I would like to be able
> to exit X when I wanted and hop back in as desired, but still log in through a
> graphical interface... I am thinking this is probably impossible unless there is some
> sort of trick to xdm since I am really in a totally differtent runlevel than the text
> interface...

--
 
 
 

XDM Question

Post by Anders ?stlin » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00



> =
> I'm full of questions tonight ;)
> =
> Anyhow, I read in this newsgroup a post about starting your computer ri=
ght into X.. I
> thought that would be neat.  So, I ran xdm to make sure it was working =
okay... and
> when it did, I couldn't exit.  I picked to exit X after I logged in and=
 it took me
> back to the xdm prompt.  I hit ctrl-c and it restarted the xdm prompt..=
=2E I had to
> reboot the machine from within X to restart!  I am sure there is an eas=
ier way...
> =
> L8r
> Esperandi

yes there is. Go to another virtual console (alt+ctrl+2 for example) and
log in.
Enter the command "telinit 3" as root and voila. If this does not work,
then =

just do a "ps" and kill the X server.

/Anders

-- =

+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| Anders =D6stling      IKEA Svenska AB (European IS Dept.)      |
| E-mail address      anders.ostling<at>neurope.ikea.com       |
| Postal address      Box 228  260 35 Odakra, Sweden           |
| Voice               +46-42-25 73 45                          |
+-------------------------------------- Linux rules -----------+

 
 
 

XDM Question

Post by Ashwin Biha » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00




> Anyhow, I read in this newsgroup a post about starting your computer right
> into X.. I thought that would be neat.  So, I ran xdm to make sure it was
> working okay... and when it did, I couldn't exit.  I picked to exit X after I
> logged in and it took me back to the xdm prompt.  I hit ctrl-c and it
> restarted the xdm prompt... I had to reboot the machine from within X to
> restart!  I am sure there is an easier way...
> L8r
> Esperandi

You can do two thing..first when you are in XDM, if you want to exit XDM, then
press CTRL-R and you will be thrown back to the regular console login, if you
wish to turn off the computer, then just login to your system using XDM, and
then in a xterm window issue "shutdown -h now" to halt and "shutdown -r now"
to reboot..Regards

--
/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

|URL: http://www.cs.uml.edu/~abihari                                          |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| NOTE: The address above has the words NOSPAM, to stop just that, please     |
|       reply to the address in this box, if you have to at all!              |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

 
 
 

1. XDM Question (memory needed for XDM?)

The output of ps indicates, that XDM eats up a lot of memory.
I wonder what kind of beast is "-:0" and what is it good for?

root       365  0.0  2.9  2048   456  ?  S   07:37   0:00 \
/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon
root       367  2.5 11.6  3488  1784  ?  S   07:37   0:26 \
/usr/X11R6/bin/X -auth /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0-a00365
root       368  0.0  5.6  2084   864  ?  S   07:37   0:00 -:0                        

Fritz

--

FernUniversitaet Hagen, LG Elektronische Schaltungen, 58084 Hagen (Germany)
tel:+49 2331/987-1166 fax:987-355 WWW://ES-sun1.fernuni-hagen.de/~jfh
PGP fingerprint (mail for key): 160BDF84 3F2F63C0  5CA20D31 3E42D116

2. HELP!! sendmail disrupts bootup!!!

3. Netscape Question, XDM Question

4. Speed of mouse

5. Card Problem? (and xdm question)

6. Clockchip in Orchid Pro64?

7. twm and xdm question

8. WGET under freebsd - HELP ME PLEASE URGENT

9. Two XDM questions (xconsole & display permission)

10. xdm question need help.

11. xdm question for 320s running 3.2

12. Exceed + xdm question

13. xdm question