ATI All-in-Wonder (Rage II+)

Post by Gerald Gra » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've finally upgrading X to match a "new"  card--an ATI all-in-wonder
(rage II+ not pro).  However, I'm having trouble with the modes--basically
the monitor is seeing much lower frequencies than it should.  e.g. an 85hz
mode is out of spec on the monitor (fortunately the monitor has protection
circuitry and reports the input frequencies, typically in the range of
half the expected--both hoizontally and vertically).

Question: the values are suggestive of TV frequencies...could the TV out
on the all-in-wonder be somehow interfering?  And what utilites are
available to combat this?  This happens, btw, using the Mach64 and svga
servers.

Thanks for an insight,
Gerry

ATI All-in-Wonder (Rage II+)

Post by Georgi » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You need to set your sync values in
your xf86config file.  To start the configuration
utility type xf86config (enter).  You will need
to have the specifications from your monitor
manual, or the manufacturers web site.

> I've finally upgrading X to match a "new"  card--an ATI all-in-wonder
> (rage II+ not pro).  However, I'm having trouble with the modes--basically
> the monitor is seeing much lower frequencies than it should.  e.g. an 85hz
> mode is out of spec on the monitor (fortunately the monitor has protection
> circuitry and reports the input frequencies, typically in the range of
> half the expected--both hoizontally and vertically).

> Question: the values are suggestive of TV frequencies...could the TV out
> on the all-in-wonder be somehow interfering?  And what utilites are
> available to combat this?  This happens, btw, using the Mach64 and svga
> servers.

> Thanks for an insight,
> Gerry

ATI All-in-Wonder (Rage II+)

Post by Gerald Gra » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm familiar with X configuration.  To expand on the problem:  Last night
I decided to experiment.  However, before doing anything, I started X and
it worked.  Later, after rebooting to Win95 to respond to a work-related
issue, I rebooted Linux and X did not work.  The only change to the Linux
configuration was a change in the mouse parameter (and I did verify that
the change did not affect X, other than to get the mouse working).
Basically, the monitor reported receiving freqencies out of valid
ranges (too low)--frequencies generated by modes that had worked only 1
hour earlier!  Since the X config did not change, the possibilities are
graphics card hidden setup (e.g. something with TV output) or monitor
anomoly.  The monitor, BTW, is a KDS VS-195.

Thanks,
Gerry

>You need to set your sync values in
>your xf86config file.  To start the configuration
>utility type xf86config (enter).  You will need
>to have the specifications from your monitor
>manual, or the manufacturers web site.

>> I've finally upgrading X to match a "new"  card--an ATI all-in-wonder
>> (rage II+ not pro).  However, I'm having trouble with the modes--basically
>> the monitor is seeing much lower frequencies than it should.  e.g. an 85hz
>> mode is out of spec on the monitor (fortunately the monitor has protection
>> circuitry and reports the input frequencies, typically in the range of
>> half the expected--both hoizontally and vertically).

>> Question: the values are suggestive of TV frequencies...could the TV out
>> on the all-in-wonder be somehow interfering?  And what utilites are
>> available to combat this?  This happens, btw, using the Mach64 and svga
>> servers.

>> Thanks for an insight,
>> Gerry

1. ATI Rage II and ATI All-in-Wonder cards, anyone ?

    I bought an ATI All-in-Wonder card, with 4M of RAM. It works beautifully
under Win9x, but I am now trying to setup Linux. I tried RedHat 4.2 from the
latest InfoMagic package. No Go. It seems to be able to work, but my monitor
goes crazy. Also, I just bought the S.u.S.E package and wanna know if there
is anything that I should check when I will install the X Window package.

    I must say that I'm very new to Linux, although I work with Unix on an
HP for a couple of weeks now and have *some* background in Unix.

    Thanks :-)

J-F Messier

2. USR 56k EXT modem troubles

3. Solaris 8 and ATI Rage 128 (ATI All-In-Wonder) on Intel

4. ANNOUNCE: SPY-0.1 - syscalls monitor

5. Linux In Developing Countries

6. Xfree and ATI All-in-wonder 128 or ATI Rage fury 128

7. US-CA-OC ***UNIX SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR***

8. ATI Rage 128 All-In-Wonder

9. problems with my ATI Rage 128 All-In-Wonder Pro freezing

10. ATI All-In-Wonder Pro PCI 8MB Rage Pro with Video4Linux?

11. Anyone use XFree86 with ATI all-in-wonder with new Rage Pro?

12. ATI Rage 128 (All-in-Wonder 128 16Mo) - Here is my config file