trident 9680 & 16bpp in XFree86 3.2

Post by z_kei.. » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Here goes again...gotta hate bad connections.  Anyways, has anyone gotten 16bpp
to work in XFree86 3.2?  I can get it to start up, but when I exit the screen
turns to garbage.  I can only fix that with a complete shutdown and reboot.
Also, when it starts up, my 800x600 screen size at 16bpp is not the same size
as it is at 8bpp.  Thanks for any help.

trident 9680 & 16bpp in XFree86 3.2

Post by Chri » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Here goes again...gotta hate bad connections.  Anyways, has anyone gotten 16bpp
>to work in XFree86 3.2?  I can get it to start up, but when I exit the screen
>turns to garbage.  I can only fix that with a complete shutdown and reboot.
>Also, when it starts up, my 800x600 screen size at 16bpp is not the same size
>as it is at 8bpp.  Thanks for any help.

The SVGA server for 3.2 to allow the TGUI 9680 chipset is not an
accelerated X-server. As far as i know from what i read if it's not an
accelerated X-server you are only allowed 8bpp (256) color. I could be
wrong but i read as much as i could about it because i tried the same
thing. Good luck.
Chris McKnight

Post by Chri » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Here goes again...gotta hate bad connections.  Anyways, has anyone gotten 16bpp
>to work in XFree86 3.2?  I can get it to start up, but when I exit the screen
>turns to garbage.  I can only fix that with a complete shutdown and reboot.
>Also, when it starts up, my 800x600 screen size at 16bpp is not the same size
>as it is at 8bpp.  Thanks for any help.

The SVGA server for 3.2 to allow the TGUI 9680 chipset is not an
accelerated X-server. As far as i know from what i read if it's not an
accelerated X-server you are only allowed 8bpp (256) color. I could be
wrong but i read as much as i could about it because i tried the same
thing. Good luck.
Chris McKnight

1. XF (3.2.x) Problem w/Trident 9680?

Quick question:

I have XFree86 3.2.4 (I believe), running on a K6/233
with a Trident 9680 that has 2mb ram.

It works great, except when I move the mouse.  If I move the mouse,
I get random horizontal lines drawn all over the screen until I
stop moving the mouse.  Once I stop, the screen is perfect.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

2. vmware review

3. Help with Trident 9680 and X 3.2

4. Frame buffers causing comms problems???

5. Trident 9680 and 16bpp X

6. XFree86 XF86Config Utility?

7. Trident 9680 16bpp only 45M ?

8. Trident 9680 16bpp video errors