Toshiba Tecra 8100 Bad Bad OpenGL support + weak Direct3D

Post by swhite1.. » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Anyone else using a Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop? This has an S3
Savage/MX
> graphics chip, claimed to be the fastest 3D laptop chip out there
right
> now.

> It is actually OK at DirectX/Direct3D. But sometimes there are
> problems. Many Direct3D games do work just fine.

I actually bought this Laptop after reading the reviews of the Savage/MX
but in the UK it cost 3500. I have also found it performs well for
Direct3D applications in Windows 98. However if you want to do anything
else, DO NOT BUY THIS LAPTOP. I feel quite ripped off.
Gsrhodes has indicated the problems with the Windows 98 display drivers.
The Windows 2000 display drivers are still in beta and do not support
and 3D acceleration.
The support for this chipset in Linux is awful, only a commercial X
server will provide a stable platform, and this is both expensive &
provides no 3D acceleration. You will have to throw it away if ever
XFree86 4.x supports this chipset.
I assumed when I bought it that Toshiba, (and NEC who have this chipset
in one of there Laptops), would have got assurances from S3 that they
would remedy this situation. The chipset has been available for nearly
a year. How long does it take to write good drivers, or provide the
assistance the Linux community needs? Worse than that, it is so hard to
get any information about when any of this is going to happen, despite
the news groups being full of frustrated users.
By the time the drivers are available to let this machine run at the
speeds suggested by the hype other far cheaper laptops will be
available. In fact, graphics performance aside, there were many equally
good Laptops available when I bought mine for significantly less. The
ONLY reason I paid the extra for this machine is because of the graphics
performance it claimed to have. But I am unable to use it in all but a
narrow set of circumstances.
Don't get me wrong, the Tecra 8100 has struck an excellent balance
between build quality weight and performance in all other areas, but do
not be fooled by S3's hype about the graphics chipset until you can do
more than run Direct3d apps on it. Save your money! Poor show Toshiba
and S3
Rgds
Scott
P.S. I have heard rumours that Diamond MM is to sell parts of their
business including their Graphics Division. Does anybody know if this
is pure speculation? Could this have had an effect on there willingness
to go the extra mile on driver development?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. FreeBSD on Toshiba Tecra 8100?

Where can I learn more about installing FreeBSD on a Toshiba Tecra
8100 laptop? I'm particularly interested in hearing any experiences
(good and bad) in installation and configuration, and actually using
this on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks,
James Moore

2. File system problems

3. Toshiba Tecra 8100

4. ne2000 hanging

5. Help! X problem on toshiba tecra 8100 notebook

6. I know I'm boring. . . but

7. help on X-window over toshiba tecra 8100 notebook

8. free UNIX for MAC ?

9. Run X on Toshiba Tecra 8100 notebook??

10. Help! X window on toshiba tecra 8100 notebook

11. Red Hat 6.1 and Toshiba Tecra 8100 Series 13CF3

12. config X on Toshiba Tecra 8100 with RedHat 6.2

13. acpi and irq routing on toshiba tecra 8100