X server in a window?

Post by Nathan Neuling » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a X server that doesn't directly control hardware,
but merely redirects all the traffic to a window on a client?

I'd like to be able to sit at myhost.domain:0, and run a command like:

        pseudo-x-server -display myhost.domain:0

and then be able to issue a command like:

        xterm -display myhost.domain:1

Now, that obviously is nothing particularly useful.

With regular X servers (taking over the whole screen on the machine
you're sitting at), you can issue a command like:

        Xserver -query otherhost.domain

I would REALLY like to be able to issue the command:

        pseudo-x-server -query otherhost.domain -display myhost.domain:0

And have it initiate an xdmcp session to otherhost.domain and display the
resulting session in a window displayed on myhost.domain.

Sure, I can do an xdmcp session to another host that takes over my entire
console, but that's not exactly useful if you're already logged in doing
stuff.

A couple years ago, I recally someone mentioning a program that only ran
on Linux that did something like this, but I don't remember what it was.
I have seen 'xmx', but it doesn't look like it does what I am wanting it
to do.

Any suggestions/ideas?

-- Nathan

University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-4841
Computing Services                       Fax: (573) 341-4216

X server in a window?

Post by J Turn » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

[follow-up request ignored - why only c.w.x ? ]

On 30 May 98 02:31:50 GMT, Nathan Neulinger posted

Quote:>Does anyone know of a X server that doesn't directly control hardware,
>but merely redirects all the traffic to a window on a client?

<snip>

Virtual Network Computing http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/

Xvnc runs locally on Linux, but you link to the display from a Linux
viewer running under X, or on a doze box (or through any java-capable
browser).  You aren't restricted by lack of wm's, fonts etc...
and when windoze falls over, it doesn't take the X session with it.

You can also run the win32 version of the server to export the desktop,
and access(and/or control) the display in the same ways mentioned above.
So you can also support windoze lusers without leaving your fav. OS.

I like it lots :)

Source is GPL'd.  Supports Solaris 2.5, Linux 2.0 for x86, DEC Alpha
OSF1 3.2, Win32 (Intel).

Regards, Jason.