Accelerated-X or Metro-X?

Post by James Lai » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

 I am planning on getting one of these servers for my Matrox Millennium

 Card.  Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with either of these
 servers, any comments would be appreciated.
 Thanks James

Accelerated-X or Metro-X?

Post by stev » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

|>  I am planning on getting one of these servers for my Matrox Millennium
|>
|>  Card.  Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with either of these
|>  servers, any comments would be appreciated.
|>  Thanks James

        XInside servers are known to be very fast.  My opinion is that if you can
        afford the Matrox Millenium and the XInside server, there is no good reason
        not to buy them.

        XInside development and technical support people seem to have a pretty good
        reputation too.

        I sometimes use XInside servers with Matrox on SCO, at work (not yet Linux).  And
        yes, they are fast.  At home, I'm still with VLB, Diamond Viper, and XFree.  So, no
        report on XInside+Linux.

--
*************************************

http://www.nmt.edu/~swhitlat/
*************************************

Accelerated-X or Metro-X?

Post by Michael Nels » Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:00:00

|>   XInside servers are known to be very fast.

        Here's some data showing the results I obtained with xbench
running first the demo Xinside server for Linux with my Number 9 Motion
771 (4MB VRAM, running in 24bpp, 1152x900 mode for both sets of data):

//
// Accelerated-X 1.2, Build 1201

Accelerated X 1.2 Server:

1841 runs 10 secs
rate =   184.10 runs/sec

TOTAL    500493 lineStones
TOTAL     72917 fillStones
TOTAL     47391 blitStones
TOTAL  15737740 arcStones
TOTAL    905094 textStones
TOTAL    120326 complexStones
TOTAL    127798 xStones

XFree86 3.1.2a S3 server:

1364 runs 10 secs
rate =   136.40 runs/sec

TOTAL    464057 lineStones
TOTAL     39776 fillStones
TOTAL     35156 blitStones
TOTAL   8608866 arcStones
TOTAL    188437 textStones
TOTAL     89150 complexStones
TOTAL     78107 xStones

COMPARISON:

AccelX is 7%    faster on lineStones
AccelX is 83%   faster on fillStones
AccelX is 35%   faster on blitStones
AccelX is 82%   faster on arcStones
AccelX is 480%  faster on textStones
AccelX is 35%   faster on complexStones
AccelX is 64%   faster on xStones

Pretty significant improvement, I'd say.  I'll be ordering the full
version of the server next week.  Notice the ASTOUNDING improvement in
"textStones".

        Michael

--

San Francisco, CA

Accelerated-X or Metro-X?

Post by Harald Mil » Wed, 27 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> Pretty significant improvement, I'd say.  I'll be ordering the full
> version of the server next week.  Notice the ASTOUNDING improvement in
> "textStones".

Do you have any results on reliability too?

--

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of purge."

Accelerated-X or Metro-X?

Post by Michael Nels » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

|> > Pretty significant improvement, I'd say.  I'll be ordering the full
|> > version of the server next week.  Notice the ASTOUNDING improvement in
|> > "textStones".
|>
|> Do you have any results on reliability too?

        Nope.  I just installed the demo server long enough to run the
benchmarks (it's not good for anything else due to the three client
limitation), and then deleted it.  But it didn't cause any problems
during the short period it was installed... ;-)

        Michael

--

San Francisco, CA

Accelerated-X or Metro-X?

Post by Michael Frale » Mon, 01 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I downloaded both Metro and Accelerated-X demos. I couldn't get the Metro
demo to recognize my mouse. The Accelerated-X demo works with my Tseng
ET4000W32
no-name board, where with the XFree86 server I get very annoying pinstripes.

There are a lot more parameters you can set with the Accelerated-X setup menu,
such as resolution, desktop size, monitor, keyboard layout, etc. With the
Metro menu, you can only change the video board and the mouse (my Logitech
MouseMan, about 2 yrs old, doesn't work with any of the seven or so choices).

Before trying the demos, I was leaning towards Metro because of their ads on
the back cover of every Linux Journal. Now I've decided to go with X Inside
because their Accelerated-X server works with my mouse and has more setup
options.

--
  Michael Fraley

1. Accelerated-X or Metro-X?

Which is better, Accelerated-X from Xinside, or Metro-X as a
commercial X-server for use with XFree86?

The demo of Accelerated-X works fine on my system, but I have not seen
a demo for Metro-X's server.  The ads in the Linux Journal and info on
the web sites seems to indicate that for the $99 price, Metro-X
includes multi-head support, PEX 3d extensions, and other things that
are add-ons with Accelerated-X.  However, Metro-X only claims 500K
X-stones, whereas Accelerated-X claims 770K X-stones, seeming to
indicating that Xinside has the better performance.

Anyone care to comment on which is easier to install and configure?
The Xinside demo was VERY easy to setup...

Thanks!

/------------------------------------------------\

\------------------------------------------------/

2. Q:cursor position?

3. Where to download Metro-X or Accelerated-X Display Server?

4. sn5100tx driver

5. Metro-X or Accelerated-X?

6. 3Com Ethernet adapters <- IMPORTANT

7. Linux and Windows NT

8. Metro-x vs X-Accelerated

9. Metro-X vs. Accelerated X

10. Where to get Metro-X/Accelerate-X inSingapore

11. Comparison: Metro-X vs Accelerated X

12. Accelerated X, Metro-X and Red Hat