Xwrapper error from Xfree86-4.0.2 at SuSE-7.0/update

Xwrapper error from Xfree86-4.0.2 at SuSE-7.0/update

Post by hugh » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:08:51



After reading all about the improvement from Xfree86-4.0.2
over -4.0.1, I tried to install -4.0.2.  Unfortunately, the rpm from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/.../update/... cannot
be installed without "--nodeps" because it complained
about a missing *.so file.  I don't rememeber exactly.  It is
something like "*_pam.so." something.  Then, I tried to
start X by typing "startx".  It did not start.  It gave an error
message saying
"xwrapper is missing.".

Definitely, SuSE did not complete everyone's homework
yet.  I was forced to switch everything back to -4.0.1.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks a lot.

Hugh

 
 
 

Xwrapper error from Xfree86-4.0.2 at SuSE-7.0/update

Post by hugh » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:29:24



Quote:> After reading all about the improvement from Xfree86-4.0.2
> over -4.0.1, I tried to install -4.0.2.  Unfortunately, the rpm from
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/.../update/... cannot
> be installed without "--nodeps" because it complained
> about a missing *.so file.  I don't rememeber exactly.  It is
> something like "*_pam.so." something.

That was pam_devperm.so.  What RPM package gives this?
Quote:>Then, I tried to
> start X by typing "startx".  It did not start.  It gave an error
> message saying
> "xwrapper is missing.".

> Definitely, SuSE did not complete everyone's homework
> yet.  I was forced to switch everything back to -4.0.1.

> Can anyone comment on this?

> Thanks a lot.

> Hugh


 
 
 

Xwrapper error from Xfree86-4.0.2 at SuSE-7.0/update

Post by Jef Peerae » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:51:05





> > After reading all about the improvement from Xfree86-4.0.2
> > over -4.0.1, I tried to install -4.0.2.  Unfortunately, the rpm from
> > ftp://ftp.suse.com/.../update/... cannot
> > be installed without "--nodeps" because it complained
> > about a missing *.so file.  I don't rememeber exactly.  It is
> > something like "*_pam.so." something.

> That was pam_devperm.so.  What RPM package gives this?

> >Then, I tried to
> > start X by typing "startx".  It did not start.  It gave an error
> > message saying
> > "xwrapper is missing.".

> > Definitely, SuSE did not complete everyone's homework
> > yet.  I was forced to switch everything back to -4.0.1.

> > Can anyone comment on this?

> > Thanks a lot.

> > Hugh

According to the SuSE readme for installation, you need to provide the
--nodeps and --force flags for this package.
However, the next step is configuring XFree, and this doesn't seem to
work with this package. I 've got an 'Illegal instruction' after a while
( when using xf86cfg ).

Jef

--
-----------------------------------------------
Jef Peeraer             -o)

+32 3 7806582           _\_v            
-----------------------------------------------
Don't throw your PC out of the window, throw
Windows out of your PC and run Linux!
-- Gernot Kerschbaumer.

 
 
 

Xwrapper error from Xfree86-4.0.2 at SuSE-7.0/update

Post by Thomas Bar » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:08:05


I start X with kdm as login manager, and it always complains about
missing devperm_pam.so,
but I just ignore it. The rest works now (with 2.2.18, both with nvidia
or nv driver).




> > > After reading all about the improvement from Xfree86-4.0.2
> > > over -4.0.1, I tried to install -4.0.2.  Unfortunately, the rpm from
> > > ftp://ftp.suse.com/.../update/... cannot
> > > be installed without "--nodeps" because it complained
> > > about a missing *.so file.  I don't rememeber exactly.  It is
> > > something like "*_pam.so." something.

> > That was pam_devperm.so.  What RPM package gives this?

> > >Then, I tried to
> > > start X by typing "startx".  It did not start.  It gave an error
> > > message saying
> > > "xwrapper is missing.".

> > > Definitely, SuSE did not complete everyone's homework
> > > yet.  I was forced to switch everything back to -4.0.1.

> > > Can anyone comment on this?

> > > Thanks a lot.

> > > Hugh

> According to the SuSE readme for installation, you need to provide the
> --nodeps and --force flags for this package.
> However, the next step is configuring XFree, and this doesn't seem to
> work with this package. I 've got an 'Illegal instruction' after a while
> ( when using xf86cfg ).

> Jef

> --
> -----------------------------------------------
> Jef Peeraer             -o)

> +32 3 7806582           _\_v
> -----------------------------------------------
> Don't throw your PC out of the window, throw
> Windows out of your PC and run Linux!
> -- Gernot Kerschbaumer.

 
 
 

Xwrapper error from Xfree86-4.0.2 at SuSE-7.0/update

Post by paul_c_leopa.. » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:47:43


I have also installed Xfree86-4.0.2 from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/X/XFree86/XFree86-4.0.2-SuSE/
- twice so far. The first time was x*-0 (ca. 4/1/2001) and the second
(this morning) was x*-2 (ca. 14/1/2001)
SuSE has already updated these files twice, in 10 days, including the
README, which now has extra known errors listed, in comparison to x*-0
I suggest that you try the current version and send an email message to

In the meantime, I'll take a good look at what I've installed. For x*-0
I also noticed the dependence on pam_devp*, but I haven't checked x*-0

I suspect that this is a security feature peculiar to SuSE, which is
planned for 7.1+ but not yet implemented. The reason I say this is that
I have had similar problems with passwordfd.so, which is peculiar to
the SuSE 6.4+ version of ppp.



Quote:> According to the SuSE readme for installation, you need to provide the
> --nodeps and --force flags for this package.
> However, the next step is configuring XFree, and this doesn't seem to
> work with this package. I 've got an 'Illegal instruction' after a
while
> ( when using xf86cfg ).

> Jef

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
 
 
 

1. XFree86-4.0.2-SuSE and OpenGL

Hi,

I got XFree86-4.0.2-SuSE rpms and installed them on SuSE 7.0, Kernel
2.4.0. I own a ATI Rage 128 card (Rage Fury) and have configured the
kernel. DRI works fine. I can see that the modules agpgart and r128 are
loaded, when X is started. Also Mozilla is now very fast. As described in
the README file for installing glx drivers, I put the following entries
in the XF86Config:

Load "glx"
Load "dri"

I installed xf86_glx and xf86glxd (mesa was removed before)

Why does the GL stuff not work. I tried some screensavers with OpenGL,
like Atlantis or Bubbles3d, but the screen stays blank.

The syslog doesnt show errors.

Please help me, if you like to. Using my eMail.

Thanks Christian

2. Nat to Nat?

3. XFree86-4.0.2/SuSE Linux 7.0

4. file transfer

5. Xwrapper on Xfree4.0.2

6. .htaccess

7. kdemultimedia rc2 and make error

8. Problem with XFree86-4.0.2?

9. XFree86-4.0.2 changes permissions to /dev/null

10. ATI Radeon, XFree86-4.0.2, and hardware acceleration

11. XFree86-4.0.2 colordepths

12. SiS6326 and XFree86-4.0.2?