Where's motif

Post by Carl Russman » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I don't find libXm on my new RedHat 5.0 linux system and assume its not
> provided.  I see that RedHat sells a Motif package for $140+ but all I want
> to do is build some applications that use the Motif libraries and xmkmf.  Is
> there a less expensive solution??

LessTif is a free motif clone; it's probably included with your Linux
distribution.  I've never used it, so someone else might be able to help
you a bit better.

--Carl

Where's motif

Post by Morga » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > I don't find libXm on my new RedHat 5.0 linux system and assume its not
> > provided.  I see that RedHat sells a Motif package for $140+ but all I want
> > to do is build some applications that use the Motif libraries and xmkmf.  Is
> > there a less expensive solution??

> LessTif is a free motif clone; it's probably included with your Linux
> distribution.  I've never used it, so someone else might be able to help
> you a bit better.

LessTif is still quite buggy so don't depend on it to be a complete
replacement.
Quote:

> --Carl

Where's motif

Post by Ken L » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I don't find libXm on my new RedHat 5.0 linux system and assume its not
>provided.

See http://www.rahul.net/kenton/GettingMotif.html

-------
Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

Where's motif

Post by Gewone gebruiker voor alleda » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Take a look at http://www.lesstif.org.  This is a free clone of Motif.
It's still under development, but getting better every day.

Jo

Post by Bruce Stephen » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> LessTif is still quite buggy so don't depend on it to be a complete
> replacement.

It's vastly better than it was a few months ago.  The excellent DDD
works quite well, and Mozilla apparently works reasonably.  Lesstif is
definitely worth trying.

1. Motif Programming Manual and Motif Reference Manual by O'Reilly now free

IST is pleased to announce that Volumes 6A and 6B of the O'Reilly
Associates 'Definitive Guides to the X Window System' series of books
are now available for free, direct download in various formats and
contents from IST's web site.

Volume 6A is the Motif Programming Manual.
Volume 6B is the Motif Reference Manual.

The versions that can be downloaded from IST's web site are later
versions than those made available by O'Reilly themselves. In
particular, Volume 6A from IST is for Motif 2.1, whereas from O'Reilly
it is for Motif 1.2.

Antony Fountain and Jeremy Huxtable of IST have completely overhauled
Volume 6A, Motif Programming Manual, for Motif 2.1. This online
edition is the first publication of the Third Edition, dated December
2001, and is the authoritative 'how-to' work on Motif 2.1. A printed
edition will be available from IST in due course.

Volume 6B, Motif Reference Manual is also available in updated form
online. This is the Second Edition of 6B, dated February 2000, for
Motif 2.1, as revised and updated by Antony Fountain. The online
edition has been augmented with a number of patches and the sections
on UIL have been re-instated since the last paper publication of the
volume. Volume 6B is the standard reference work on Motif 2.1.

The versions available from IST are available as both PDF files and
source files for UNIX FrameMaker 5.5. Those available from O'Reilly
are in troff format, and exactly match the last paper publications.

Information about the books and the links to download them can be
found at:

http://www.ist.co.uk/NEWS/archive/motifbooks.html

Terry
--
                 _
               .' `.              Free Micro Burner
               |a_a|   http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html
  Debian       \ V /
  2.2.20      /(   )\      Linux Registration Number: 103931
             |\`> < /\           http://counter.li.org
             \_|=='|_/
* OSS is long-term credible ... FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.

2. ANNOUNCE: X-ISP v2.3p4: X11 visual interface to pppd/chat

3. Where's the mailing list for ParcPlace's OI (Motif lookalike)

4. Please Append a correct "root=" boot option

5. What's this Motif thing (Don't shoot the Newbie)

6. compiling kdebindings fails

7. motif + 'stty' probs

8. 4.0 arp: unknown hardware address format (0800)

9. HELP: Can't compile: have xcmd and xmmix, but I don't have Motif.

10. Upgrading 1.3.x/Motif 2.0 system to 2.0.33/Motif 2.1 -- any problems/gotchas?

11. Motif++ available for linux/Metrolink Motif

12. Announce: Motif release to Open Source Community leads to Open Motif Everywhere on PPC

13. Workstation Motif to PC Motif Portability