xterms not updating utmp

Post by Bryan J. Phillipp » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

        xterm and color_xterm are suid root.  When using any shell, after
exiting X, w, finger and who show me still logged in.  Anyone know what I
need to do to fix it?

Thanks,

Kickin' it since 1.1.59  http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~bryanxms
/* Do not distribute this message across the Microsoft(tm) Network */

xterms not updating utmp

Post by The Red Ma » Sun, 21 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Hello,

>    xterm and color_xterm are suid root.  When using any shell, after
>exiting X, w, finger and who show me still logged in.  Anyone know what I
>need to do to fix it?

>Thanks,

>Kickin' it since 1.1.59  http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~bryanxms
>/* Do not distribute this message across the Microsoft(tm) Network */

Just edit the xterm application defaults file in

/etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm

and add the line:

*loginShell:            True

                                That should fix it.
                                        redmage

1. xterms not updating utmp

My xterms/color_xterms are *not* updating the
utmp file (it looks like I am still logged in
after I have killed the window).  I have tried
(and failed) in recompiling both xterm and
color_xterm.  Some questions:  where is the
patch to the source or is there a handy pre-compiled
binary floating about?

I am fairly sure that the upgrade of libc broke
the xterms.

--
steve

2. X crashes with S3 Trio64V+ 86C765

3. xterm not updating utmp on exit

4. WINE questions

5. Problem with 2.2.6, xterm failing to update utmp properly

6. ECC Memory Error Reporting

7. xterm doesn't update utmp when exiting

8. /etc/modules.conf

9. ?? using sessreg and xterm +ut to update /etc/utmp

10. Xterms not cleaning up utmp properly / Telnet woes

11. Why does xterm not put in a utmp entry?

12. Xterm not finding /etc/utmp

13. XTerm login not recorded in utmp....