Xfree86 4.0.1: monitor shuts down when Xmms starts

Xfree86 4.0.1: monitor shuts down when Xmms starts

Post by Toby Hayne » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Okay - this one really does have me stumped. I've upgraded from XFree86 4.0 as
supplied on the Mandrake 7.1 distro to XFree86 4.0.1 using the Xinstall.sh
script supplied by XFree86 - the graphics card is a TNT2 Ultra. And I've used
xf86config to produce a working configuration file that uses the "nv"
driver. The nvidia-0.94 driver is a no-go for me at the moment - it worked fine
with 4.0 but it really hates something about 4.0.1 and dumps sig 11, as
previously posted (probably something to do with having an S30 Anigma
motherboard).

I have a working X server - I can get gdm up and going and log in
normally. Then I hit the first snag - starting up my gnome session would get as
far as sticking the icons on the screen and then the monitor would go into
power save mode and the keyboard would lock up. Hmm. Further investigation led
me to xmms as the culprit - from any window manager at all, loading xmms stiffs
the X server, either freezing the screen and keyboard or switching the monitor
into power-save mode. Adding the Option "power_save" to the appropriate part of
the XF86Config did not help and I have dga disabled by use of the extmod. I
know xmms tries to use DGA if it is available, but as far as I can tell it
should not be attempting to use DGA if the ~/.xmms/config file specifies
enable_DGA=FALSE, and that is the case here.

Any clues?

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

Post by Kolbjorn Bekkelun » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:55:51

> Okay - this one really does have me stumped. I've upgraded from XFree86
> 4.0 as supplied on the Mandrake 7.1 distro to XFree86 4.0.1 using the
> Xinstall.sh script supplied by XFree86 - the graphics card is a TNT2
> Ultra. And I've used xf86config to produce a working configuration file
> that uses the "nv" driver. The nvidia-0.94 driver is a no-go for me at
> the moment - it worked fine with 4.0 but it really hates something about
> 4.0.1 and dumps sig 11, as previously posted (probably something to do
> with having an S30 Anigma motherboard).

> I have a working X server - I can get gdm up and going and log in
> normally. Then I hit the first snag - starting up my gnome session would
> get as far as sticking the icons on the screen and then the monitor
> would go into power save mode and the keyboard would lock up. Hmm.
> Further investigation led me to xmms as the culprit - from any window
> manager at all, loading xmms stiffs the X server, either freezing the
> screen and keyboard or switching the monitor into power-save mode.
> Adding the Option "power_save" to the appropriate part of the XF86Config
> did not help and I have dga disabled by use of the extmod. I know xmms
> tries to use DGA if it is available, but as far as I can tell it should
> not be attempting to use DGA if the ~/.xmms/config file specifies
> enable_DGA=FALSE, and that is the case here.

This does not help much but I've got the same problem.
Different mainboard, but the NVIDIA-stuff is the same. Have experianced
two blackouts in two days.

Kolbjorn

1. How to shut-off on a shut-down?

Hi,

I'm sure it is possible, I've done it before but I've lost my notes on
the subject: I just installed Suse 6.1 (yes six-dot-one, the old one) on
a labtob (laptop?) and I cannot find how or where to power down the
machine automatically on a shutdown. I know it is something in the
init.d or rc.d directories but I cannot find what or where to configure.

How can I (automatically) power-down my machine on a shutdown?

I don't think it is part of the issue but if it is, my machine is a
Toshiba Satalite Pro 440.

Thanks

CB

--
Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler - A. Einstein
Corne' Beerse                                   | Alcatel Telecom Nederland

2. Permissions problem (bug?)

3. starting x with numlock on, shutting down with numlock off...

4. The Future Linux Kernel

5. Doom shuts down my monitor!

6. FreeBSD and Hard Drive Overlay

7. services shut down immediately after starting (RH6.2)

8. Pop Mail Server for OSF/1

9. Q: Shutting down the monitor

10. Monitor Shuts Down

11. Shut down the monitor automatically under X

12. how to shut down monitor w/out cutting back CPU speed

13. Monitor Screams after Shutting Down X