xterm: no available ptys

Post by Ian Roge » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

The short story:  I can get X to work fine except that no xterms come
up. When I quit X I see the error messages "xterm: no available ptys".
How can I fix this?

The long story: I've been using Redhat linux (great stuff) for years
and recently upgraded to 4.1 from a PCW cover CD.The upgrade did not
go well as I ran out of space on my / partition. After saving of some
config files (X, ppp etc) I decided to go for the reformat-install
option as my /home is on a different partition. This completed
perfectly :-) Everything seemed to work except that X would no longer
recognise my graphics chipset (clgd5428) but after commenting out the
Chipset and Clocks line from XF86config that was ok. I can now start X
just as before, and a number of apps (e.g. control-panel and emacs)
work fine. But I can't get any xterms to appear (see short story).

I've been pulling my hair out for nearly a week on this one,
reinstalling packages, looking through config files etc. I can't find
any docs that might help. The "dev" rpm is correctly installed, all
the required gettys seem to be installed - I don't know where to look
next :-(

Please help. Even any pointers to what I should be looking at would be
great.

Many Thanks,

Ian.

xterm: no available ptys

Post by T.E.Dicke » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: The short story:  I can get X to work fine except that no xterms come
: up. When I quit X I see the error messages "xterm: no available ptys".
: How can I fix this?
usually a permissions problem
        http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

xterm: no available ptys

Post by Ian Roge » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>: The short story:  I can get X to work fine except that no xterms come
>: up. When I quit X I see the error messages "xterm: no available ptys".
>: How can I fix this?
>usually a permissions problem
>    http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm/xterm.faq.html

Thanks for the pointer, someone else mentioned file permissions to me.

All my file permissions were correct though and the problem became
even more spooky when "script" wouldn't work for me.

In the end the fix was incredibly simple (and possibly amusing).

I'm using loadlin from a dos menu to start linux (some people are,
perhaps, beginning to slap their foreheads already... ;-)

When I did the initial upgrade I did remember to check if the vmlinuz
on my dos drive should be updated from my now running RH4.1. But they
were already the same! "Odd" I thought, but no matter.

But last night I spotted a message in the boot sequence (just before
it whizzed off the top of the screen)  saying that it couldn't open a
1.2.13 Modules directory. That's when I remembered the vmlinuz oddity.
I checked again and now /vmlinuz didn't seem to exist!

Copied the vmllinuz off the installation CD into dos and now
everything works fine. Duh.

In my defence I've never seen that step of the install process
mentioned in any of the HowTos.

I'm amazed that linux managed to come up at all really... %->

Cheers,

Ian.