SIGSEGV when switching aout of X

Post by Edward Benyukh » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

My X-server dies by SIGSEGV when I switch out of X to
a text 'vt'.  If I do not switch out to a VT but stay
within X environment, it stays up indefinitely.  Did
anyone observe similar problems?  This is the 3.1.1
revision of Xfree86 running on the machine with the
following configuration:

P90 PCI
AHA2940 w/ NEC CD-ROM and Seagate 2GB
32 MB of RAM
#9GXE-PRO
QIC02 tape w/ controller

Best regards,

Edward Benyukhis

1. 2.2.13 breaks aout libraries/binaries -- kernel aout guru request

Hello all.

I just upgraded my system from 2.2.12 to 2.2.13.  It turns out that this
breaks some older aout libraries and maybe binaries.

When trying to run one aout program, the kernel reports:

    Oct 24 23:36:22 love kernel: N_TXTOFF is not page aligned. Please convert library: libX11.so.6.0

Subsequently, the program aborts with a SIGSEGV where it would run nicely
and without warnings on 2.2.12.  I don't know if I can convert the
library as requested (it is from the now disappeared Debian "xcompat"
package), but I can convert the programs that use it to ELF.  This is
a pain, though.

When trying to run another aout program, the kernel reports:

    Oct 26 22:14:47 love kernel: fd_offset is not page aligned. Please convert program: mira

This program keeps running without problems, though.  However, if on
subsequent kernel upgrades, this program would start breaking, I cannot
replace it; it is a non-free binary with no sources available.  If a
kernel upgrade breaks this program, I cannot use either the upgrade or
the program.

The warning messages come from extra code in linux/fs/exec.c, IIRC.
Why some programs (libraries) suddenly start producing SIGSEGVs is not
clear to me.

My questions:

 -- Is there a backward compatibility option other than staying at 2.2.12?

 -- Is the aout program going to break in the future?

 -- Can I get rid of the annoying syslog messages?

 -- Why the change anyway?

Please post if you have an answer to any of these questions, if only to
ease my mind that things will keep working.

Thank you.                                                        Vincent.
--

<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"
[Xhost should be taken out and shot] |            -- Paul Tomblin on a.s.r.

2. Ztape and CPIO

3. SIGSEGV kills X -bpp 16 on switch to VT

4. testing

5. How I trace back SIGSEGV etc. (was: Re: SIGSEGV trace)

6. install gzip

7. switch time depends on why you switch

8. Foreign keyboard layouts in LinuxPPC

9. cheap switch or expensive hub? (switch/hub recommendations)

10. Switching Off An Ethernet Client With A Hardware Switch

11. Linux Network down work with 1000 MBit Switch but with old 100 MBit Switch

12. Switching to a switch

13. when to switch to switches?