RH6.0 Large desktop, big fonts and icons, no scrolling

RH6.0 Large desktop, big fonts and icons, no scrolling

Post by Nick Bourr » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

After I setup the x server, I can start x, but the desktop is very big. It
isn't about the virtual desktop. It's like the desktop has zoomed to 200% at
the upper right corner. There are big icons, big fonts, big borders, big
everything.
This doesn't look like a virtual desktop, because there is no way to jump to
the other sections of the desktop.

Maybe it is because I don't find the right settings for my video card? Some
technical information:
Video card:
Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor, NVIDIA TNT2 processor, 16MB RAM, AGP.
Monitor:
Trust 14" CM22XX, Hor. 31.5, 35.2, 35.5, 37.9KHz, Ver. 50-90Hz, Max. res.
1024x768 (interlace mode), setup 800x600.
PC:
PentiumII 350MHz, 64MB Ram, DQI motherboard BrillianX, Intel 440BX chipset.

Post by David Leeman » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> After I setup the x server, I can start x, but the desktop is very big. It
> isn't about the virtual desktop. It's like the desktop has zoomed to 200% at
> the upper right corner. There are big icons, big fonts, big borders, big
> everything.
> This doesn't look like a virtual desktop, because there is no way to jump to
> the other sections of the desktop.

> Maybe it is because I don't find the right settings for my video card? Some
> technical information:
> Video card:
> Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor, NVIDIA TNT2 processor, 16MB RAM, AGP.
> Monitor:
> Trust 14" CM22XX, Hor. 31.5, 35.2, 35.5, 37.9KHz, Ver. 50-90Hz, Max. res.
> 1024x768 (interlace mode), setup 800x600.
> PC:
> PentiumII 350MHz, 64MB Ram, DQI motherboard BrillianX, Intel 440BX chipset.

In general, it is NOT a good idea to use brand new hardware under Linux, simply
because it often is not supported yet.
But, if I 'm not mistaken, it is possible to use TNT2-cards with the older
TNT-support implemented in the  XFree86_SVGA_3.3.3.1 server.
Try it. If it doesn't help, I advise you to replace your TNT2 by something
older (Riva128, S3,...) or to wait until X supports your card ....;-)
You could check out    www.xfree86.org
They have links to servers for those new cards, although  most of them still
being in beta stage.

BTW: you should attach a much better screen to such a high-end card !! That
silly Trust screen is in no way capable of deploying the possibilities of that
card, unless you are happy with 640x480x256 at 60Hz . . . for which an old card
would do just fine.

David

RH6.0 Large desktop, big fonts and icons, no scrolling

Post by ErEf » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> After I setup the x server, I can start x, but the desktop is very big. It
> isn't about the virtual desktop. It's like the desktop has zoomed to 200%
at
> the upper right corner. There are big icons, big fonts, big borders, big
> everything.
> This doesn't look like a virtual desktop, because there is no way to jump
> the other sections of the desktop.

> Maybe it is because I don't find the right settings for my video card?
Some
> technical information:
> Video card:
> Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor, NVIDIA TNT2 processor, 16MB RAM, AGP.
> Monitor:
> Trust 14" CM22XX, Hor. 31.5, 35.2, 35.5, 37.9KHz, Ver. 50-90Hz, Max. res.
> 1024x768 (interlace mode), setup 800x600.
> PC:
> PentiumII 350MHz, 64MB Ram, DQI motherboard BrillianX, Intel 440BX

chipset.

http://www.nvidia.com/Marketing/Products/Pages.nsf/pages/linuxfaq

everything described how to get tnt and tnt2 running with linux

RH6.0 Large desktop, big fonts and icons, no scrolling

Post by Nick Bourr » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> http://www.nvidia.com/Marketing/Products/Pages.nsf/pages/linuxfaq

> everything described how to get tnt and tnt2 running with linux

This solved the problem, thanks.

--
Nick Bourry

http://users.skynet.be/sky58869