Removing anti-alias fonts in RH8 ?

Removing anti-alias fonts in RH8 ?

Post by Guillaume Dargau » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:30:01



I though my cheap monitor was bad, but I get the same fuzzy out of focus
fonts on remote X sessions. My guess is that RedHat did the same stupid
anti-alias stunt than OS-X. I can't stand looking at blurred fonts for even
10 seconds, how do I remove that anti-aliasing option ?!?

When will those 'feature' people unsderstand that anti-aliasing is only
useful when you want to resize fonts...
--
Guillaume Dargaud
Colorado State University - Dept of Atmospheric Science
http://www.gdargaud.net/
  "Anti-glare screens to prevent eye strain ??? In my day, you didn't need
an anti-glare screen. With the power they consumed, when you turned your
computer on, the whole building darkened  !"    - Simon Travaglia (the
B.O.F.H.).

 
 
 

Removing anti-alias fonts in RH8 ?

Post by Rex Diete » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:34:26



> I though my cheap monitor was bad, but I get the same fuzzy out of focus
> fonts on remote X sessions. My guess is that RedHat did the same stupid
> anti-alias stunt than OS-X. I can't stand looking at blurred fonts for
> even 10 seconds, how do I remove that anti-aliasing option ?!?

Speak for yourself, I *like* the antialiased fonts, thank you very much.

--
Rex A. Dieter                  
Computer System Administrator  
Mathematics and Statistics      
University of Nebraska Lincoln  

 
 
 

Removing anti-alias fonts in RH8 ?

Post by Bob Marca » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:47:05




>>I though my cheap monitor was bad, but I get the same fuzzy out of focus
>>fonts on remote X sessions. My guess is that RedHat did the same stupid
>>anti-alias stunt than OS-X. I can't stand looking at blurred fonts for
>>even 10 seconds, how do I remove that anti-aliasing option ?!?

> Speak for yourself, I *like* the antialiased fonts, thank you very much.

Install RH 9.0 :-)

--

  Aster^H^H...HermesPlus^H^H^H...S&T    tel:    +386 (1) 5894-329
  Nade Ovcakove 1                       http://www.hermes-plus.si
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia                    http://www.aster.si

 
 
 

Removing anti-alias fonts in RH8 ?

Post by Guillaume Dargau » Thu, 01 May 2003 05:46:51


Quote:> Speak for yourself, I *like* the antialiased fonts, thank you very
> much.

How can you like to read something blurry ?!? I keep trying to focus !

The gnome-font-properties box provides some options but nothing to remove
it, most steeings make it much worse...
--
Guillaume Dargaud
Colorado State University - Dept of Atmospheric Science
http://www.gdargaud.net/
  "If it wasn't backed-up, then it wasn't important."    - The sysadmin's
moto.

 
 
 

Removing anti-alias fonts in RH8 ?

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 01 May 2003 21:44:08



>> Speak for yourself, I *like* the antialiased fonts, thank you very
>> much.
> How can you like to read something blurry ?!? I keep trying to focus !

> The gnome-font-properties box provides some options but nothing to remove
> it, most steeings make it much worse...

Maybe because I primarily use kde, which, to me, appears nicely (and not
blurry?  (-:

-- Rex

 
 
 

Removing anti-alias fonts in RH8 ?

Post by Brian » Sun, 04 May 2003 13:31:32


Yes, I too need to make X ugly again.  I upgraded a box at work to RH9
from 6 and X was so nice looking, I ended up overwriting my own
workstations' win XP install with it... then my windows box at
home...  and now I'm eyeing the wife's windows ME box... impure
thoughts of fdisk'ing it to...
HELP! Give me back my blocky fonts and window borders!!!
Quote:> I though my cheap monitor was bad, but I get the same fuzzy out of focus
> fonts on remote X sessions. My guess is that RedHat did the same stupid
> anti-alias stunt than OS-X. I can't stand looking at blurred fonts for even
> 10 seconds, how do I remove that anti-aliasing option ?!?

> When will those 'feature' people unsderstand that anti-aliasing is only
> useful when you want to resize fonts...

 
 
 

Removing anti-alias fonts in RH8 ?

Post by Bob Marca » Sun, 04 May 2003 15:33:06



> Yes, I too need to make X ugly again.  I upgraded a box at work to RH9
> from 6 and X was so nice looking, I ended up overwriting my own
> workstations' win XP install with it... then my windows box at
> home...  and now I'm eyeing the wife's windows ME box... impure
> thoughts of fdisk'ing it to...
> HELP! Give me back my blocky fonts and window borders!!!

>>I though my cheap monitor was bad, but I get the same fuzzy out of focus
>>fonts on remote X sessions. My guess is that RedHat did the same stupid
>>anti-alias stunt than OS-X. I can't stand looking at blurred fonts for even
>>10 seconds, how do I remove that anti-aliasing option ?!?

>>When will those 'feature' people unsderstand that anti-aliasing is only
>>useful when you want to resize fonts...

freetype.spec

-----------
# Disables freetype 1 and 2 bytecode interpreter.  Setting to 0 enables
# the bytecode interpreter in both freetype 1 and 2.
%define without_bytecode_interpreter    1

%define with_freetype1  1

%define ft1 freetype-pre1.4

Summary: A free and portable TrueType font rendering engine.
Name: freetype
Version: 2.1.3
Release: 6
License: GPL
Group: System Environment/Libraries
URL: http://www.freetype.org
...

Regards, Bob

--

  Aster^H^H...HermesPlus^H^H^H...S&T    tel:    +386 (1) 5894-329
  Nade Ovcakove 1                       http://www.hermes-plus.si
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia                    http://www.aster.si

 
 
 

1. KDE 2.1 panel crashes when child panel activated (after using font anti-alias)

Hi all!

I upgraded from KDE 2.1beta2 to KDE 2.1, and needless to say it absolutely
rocks.

But there's one VERY annoying bug I'm fighting with:

When I activate a child panel in Kicker, the whole panel crashes (SIGSEV)
upon next startup. I use the child panel for an external task bar (like
that better than the External Taskbar extension of kicker).

Interestingly enough I can launch kicker from the shell and the child panel
works as expected.

Also, the very first time I started the new KDE version it also worked.
Then the first thing I did was activate font anti-aliasing in the control
panel. On the next restart kicker crashed. And continues to crash every
time even after I disabled font anti-alias.

Without the child panel activated kicker starts normally!

This is what .xsession-errors says (not much here):
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kicker path = <unknown>
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-1110' to 'kicker'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
WARNING: library=kmix.la: No file names kmix.la found in paths.
WARNING: library=kbiff.la: No file names kbiff.la found in paths.

Thanks for any hints on fixing this!

Joerg

--

When replying by email please remove text in caps
and underscores from recipient address

2. what anivirus?

3. Anti-alias fonts?

4. ACL list

5. anti-alias fonts in solaris

6. Tar 3GB in 2.7's ufs

7. RH 7.1, Xfree86, how does one know if they are running anti-alias fonts?

8. error building kernel in 7.3

9. anti-alias fonts in OpenOffice running on RH7.3

10. Anti-aliasing of fonts... what fonts?

11. anti-aliasing & fonts

12. Anti-aliasing of screen fonts

13. Anti-aliasing fonts in X?