Cirrus 5440 XFree86 problem

Post by Henk Remij » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I recently bought a Cirrus Logic card with a 5440 chip and 1MB Ram on
it.

I used the settings for the 5430, as the 5440 is not directly supported
by XFree86, but is get the following message:
"Cannot read colourmap from VGA. Restoring defaults."
After this the screen stays black.

I tried versions 3.1.2, 3.1.2D and 3.1.2E, but all the same problem.

Can someone help me with this card and/or send me the XF86config file.

Greetings Henk

Post by David Yul » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I recently bought a Cirrus Logic card with a 5440 chip and 1MB Ram on
> it.

> I used the settings for the 5430, as the 5440 is not directly supported
> by XFree86, but is get the following message:
> "Cannot read colourmap from VGA. Restoring defaults."
> After this the screen stays black.

Have a look at http://www.xfree86.org/3.1.2/cirrus.html

I had the same problem (with a Cirrus Logic 5446); it occured because
the chipset wasn't recognised. The solution was to specify the chipset
in the XF86Config file:
 Section "Device"
     Identifier  "Cirrus Logic 5446"
     VendorName  "Cirrus"
     BoardName   "PC5446S8"
     chipset     "clgd5434"
     Clockchip   "cirrus"
     VideoRam    2048
 EndSection

This forces the system to treat the card as if it was a 5434 (which is
supported). Seems to work quite happily now ...
--
David Yule                         Tel: 44 (0)1293 815386
Philips Research Laboratories      Fax: 44 (0)1293 815500

Surrey RH1 5HA, U.K.
PGP Public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html

Cirrus 5440 XFree86 problem

Post by Eric Altendo » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>That is an old document, but I am afraid that it is still true
>that it is IMPOSSIBLE to run Linux with over 14mb of main memory
>and also run the cirrus '43 card in 16-bit or true color mode.

Is *that* the problem?  I have a CL5446 2MB card (running as a 5434)
with 32MB RAM and when I try >8bpp I get complaints about requiring
a linear addressing mode (and I did try the "linear" option).

I'd love to get >8bpp too!

-eric

Cirrus 5440 XFree86 problem

: >
:
: Is *that* the problem?  I have a CL5446 2MB card (running as a 5434)
: with 32MB RAM and when I try >8bpp I get complaints about requiring
: a linear addressing mode (and I did try the "linear" option).
:
: I'd love to get >8bpp too!
:
: -eric

It's a limitation of your card, not the cirrus chip. Cirrus chips can put the
linear ram framebuffer at 14Mb, 78Mb (=64+14Mb), and (I think) an even
higher address. Some card manufacturers don't implement the address lines
that allow the higher positions, so you're stuck with 14Mb. There is an
XF86SVGA option that selects framebuffer address. Try 78Mb and see if it
works.

(At least, this is all true for the 542X series, which I have a tech ref for.
As far as I know, the 543X and 544X chips work in very similar ways)

                Robin

Post by Nosnag Selrah » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> >That is an old document, but I am afraid that it is still true
> >that it is IMPOSSIBLE to run Linux with over 14mb of main memory
> >and also run the cirrus '43 card in 16-bit or true color mode.

> Is *that* the problem?  I have a CL5446 2MB card (running as a 5434)
> with 32MB RAM and when I try >8bpp I get complaints about requiring
> a linear addressing mode (and I did try the "linear" option).

> I'd love to get >8bpp too!

> -eric

A suggestion was made that setting linear addressing to 78mb (14 + 64)
might work. So far I've only gotten some windows to appear that way,
but not text. A weird effect.

Somebody should re-write that SVGA driver in a VESA style, real soon.
We're 2 years behind ms windows on this 16/24 bit color issue.

... --- ...

http://nosnag.home.ml.org
http://www.hooked.net/~cganson

Post by Ewald de Wi » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> > > I recently bought a Cirrus Logic card with a 5440 chip and 1MB Ram on
> > > it.

> > Have a look at http://www..org/3.1.2/cirrus.html

> That is an old document, but I am afraid that it is still true
> that it is IMPOSSIBLE to run Linux with over 14mb of main memory
> and also run the cirrus '43 card in 16-bit or true color mode.

I used to have a CL5440 with 16 MB RAM main memory and
XFree86 worked just fine in 16 and 24 bpp. I believe the card was
being mmapped to just below 4 GB.
So >8 bpp is possible with this chip... although the refresh rates
will make you cry.

--
  --  Ewald

.

Cirrus 5440 XFree86 problem

Post by William Burr » Mon, 05 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: >

: > >
: > >That is an old document, but I am afraid that it is still true
: > >that it is IMPOSSIBLE to run Linux with over 14mb of main memory
: > >and also run the cirrus '43 card in 16-bit or true color mode.

: Somebody should re-write that SVGA driver in a VESA style, real soon.
: We're 2 years behind ms windows on this 16/24 bit color issue.

It works perfectly fine on PCI systems with PCI video cards.  The
incentive to change the driver may not be there.

William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network

Post by Stewart C. Russel » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>>That is an old document, but I am afraid that it is still true
>>that it is IMPOSSIBLE to run Linux with over 14mb of main memory
>>and also run the cirrus '43 card in 16-bit or true color mode.

>Is *that* the problem?  I have a CL5446 2MB card (running as a 5434)
>with 32MB RAM and when I try >8bpp I get complaints about requiring
>a linear addressing mode (and I did try the "linear" option).

>I'd love to get >8bpp too!

Don't believe everything you read; I have no problems (now) running a
5446 with 65536 colours on a 16MB machine. The tricky bit is using
'scanpci' to find the card's base address - see my earlier post.

--
Stewart C. Russell, Glasgow, Scotland