Anyone using Gateway machines w/Wheel Mouse in X get wheel to work?

Anyone using Gateway machines w/Wheel Mouse in X get wheel to work?

Post by Michael Kel » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying imwheel and anything else I can think of to get mouse
wheel scrolling with the wheel mouse that comes with Gateway 550
Pentium III machine under X.  I'm using TurboLinux Workstation 4.
The mouse is a PS/2 type with mouse wheel press as third button.
It works in Win-derived OSs with the Intellimouse drivers.

imwheel says to use protocol "IMPS/2" but if I do that, with or
without gpm running the mouse pointer flies to the upper right
corner of the screen and is useless.  If I just use the "PS/2"
protocol in XF86Config then it recognized the mouse wheel press
as a button press but no scrolling.

xev shows mouse wheel motion as mouse motion(movement on the
mousepad) and the mouse cursor moves slightly up and down
with rotation of the mouse wheel but no scrolling.  Nothing
provides any button 4 or button 5 event, even though my
XF86Config has the zaxismapping set for 4 5.

Anyone have this working on Gateway machines?

TIA

--

Mike
--

Anyone using Gateway machines w/Wheel Mouse in X get wheel to work?

Post by John Wrig » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I had this problem with Mandrake 7.0, using a MS wheel mouse that worked
fine in Mandrake 6.1...  and I have heard of others with the problem.  I
have not found/seen a solution yet, and think it is a problem with
XFree86.   I got around it by getting a 3-button logitech, so I could at
least paste in X (the scroll button didn't even work using a PS/2 setting
in XF86Config), but that won't help if you really want to use the wheel.

My only point was to let you know the problem is not likely to be the
mouse or Gateway, since others have the exact symptoms.

I hope that someone knows a fix...

-John

Quote:>I'm trying imwheel and anything else I can think of to get mouse
>wheel scrolling with the wheel mouse that comes with Gateway 550
>Pentium III machine under X.  I'm using TurboLinux Workstation 4.
>The mouse is a PS/2 type with mouse wheel press as third button.
>It works in Win-derived OSs with the Intellimouse drivers.

>imwheel says to use protocol "IMPS/2" but if I do that, with or
>without gpm running the mouse pointer flies to the upper right
>corner of the screen and is useless.  If I just use the "PS/2"
>protocol in XF86Config then it recognized the mouse wheel press
>as a button press but no scrolling.

>xev shows mouse wheel motion as mouse motion(movement on the
>mousepad) and the mouse cursor moves slightly up and down
>with rotation of the mouse wheel but no scrolling.  Nothing
>provides any button 4 or button 5 event, even though my
>XF86Config has the zaxismapping set for 4 5.

>Anyone have this working on Gateway machines?

>TIA

>--

>Mike
>--
>"I don't want to belong to any club that would have *me* as a member!"
>             -- Groucho Marx

Anyone using Gateway machines w/Wheel Mouse in X get wheel to work?

Post by Bruce Stephen » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> The mouse is a PS/2 type with mouse wheel press as third button.
> It works in Win-derived OSs with the Intellimouse drivers.

What brand of mouse is it?

Quote:> imwheel says to use protocol "IMPS/2" but if I do that, with or
> without gpm running the mouse pointer flies to the upper right
> corner of the screen and is useless.  If I just use the "PS/2"
> protocol in XF86Config then it recognized the mouse wheel press as a
> button press but no scrolling.

Try protocol "Auto", and then "MouseManPlusPS/2".

Quote:> xev shows mouse wheel motion as mouse motion(movement on the
> mousepad) and the mouse cursor moves slightly up and down
> with rotation of the mouse wheel but no scrolling.  Nothing
> provides any button 4 or button 5 event, even though my
> XF86Config has the zaxismapping set for 4 5.

I think you need to have "Emulate3Buttons" off.  Do you?

Anyone using Gateway machines w/Wheel Mouse in X get wheel to work?

Post by John Wrig » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I just read this in linux.redhat.misc, apparently mandrake 7.02 fixes this
problem...

You need the imwheel package to run it. It comes with mandrake, i'm not
sure about redhat (don't have my RH disk right here) If you don't have
it, do a search for it on the net, download it, and read the
accompanying documentation

Post by Michael Kel » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> [...]

>> The mouse is a PS/2 type with mouse wheel press as third button.
>> It works in Win-derived OSs with the Intellimouse drivers.

> What brand of mouse is it?

I dunno'.  There's no identification on it other than
"Model MOSXK" with no brand name... just the Gateway
cow cube.

Quote:

>> imwheel says to use protocol "IMPS/2" but if I do that, with or
>> without gpm running the mouse pointer flies to the upper right
>> corner of the screen and is useless.  If I just use the "PS/2"
>> protocol in XF86Config then it recognized the mouse wheel press as a
>> button press but no scrolling.

> Try protocol "Auto", and then "MouseManPlusPS/2".

I don't think I tried MouseManPlusPS/2 yet.  I'll give it a whirl.

Quote:

>> xev shows mouse wheel motion as mouse motion(movement on the
>> mousepad) and the mouse cursor moves slightly up and down
>> with rotation of the mouse wheel but no scrolling.  Nothing
>> provides any button 4 or button 5 event, even though my
>> XF86Config has the zaxismapping set for 4 5.

> I think you need to have "Emulate3Buttons" off.  Do you?

Yes, and the mouse wheel press works as button 2.. just no
zaxis mapping.

--

Mike
--
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have *me* as a member!"
             -- Groucho Marx

1. Microsoft wheel mouse wheel button not working.

I have one of those Micro$oft (PS/2 or serial) wheel mice.  Works fine
except that X can't seem to use the wheel as a button like it's supposed
to.  I don't really expect the wheel functionality to work too though it
would be nice.  Anyone with any ideas please cc me as I don't check the
newsgroups much.  Thanks.

2. "mid level" traffic analysis library (pcap++ ?)

3. Wheel mouse, wheel does not work

4. Request for new directions/ideas

5. Caldera 2.2 and Logitech First Mouse + (w/ Wheel) and MS Wheel Mouse

6. Multiple Ethernet Addresses on 2000E

7. Mouse wheel in Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel

8. voice recognition

9. Logitech cordless wheel mouse center wheel configuration

10. Help: Need to reduce wheel gain of MS wheel mouse

11. getting wheel to work with Logitech optical mouse?

12. Getting wheel mouse to work

13. getting wheel mouse to work under KDE